Stereo Installation issues. '94 Cavalier RS

Participant count
  • Participant list
I have a 1994 Cavalier RS 3.1 V6. I am removing the stock radio, and installing an aftermarket stereo that I got from walmart. It is a Dual XHD6430. I am using a wiring kit for my car. The Stock radio works perfectly, but when I connect the Dual, it will not work. It's like it's not receiving any power. THe wires are attached correctly from the stereo to the wiring kit, but it still will not work. I tried two different stereos, and they both do the same thing. Anyone know what the issue may be?

Take a voltage meter and meter the yellow wire. It should read 12+v at all times. Meter the red wire, it should show 0v until you turn the key then it should read 12+v. You can initially test the ground by metering with the ground in the harness as a reference, though I reccomend finding a solid ground in the car and testing the black wire with the meter set to the beep/ground function. If these all meter then you know for sure the deck has power. You can assume it does if the stock deck worksm but you should start here with every deck troubleshoot. If you are missing a power you should check the fuses in the vehicle. If you replace a blown fuse or the fuse isnt blown and you still have no power, you can tap the needed power at the ignition and run it over. If you are missing ground, you can run a ground directly to the chassis.

If you complete this.... then:

Check the fuse on the back of the deck or in the deck harness.

Check to make sure you have all the wires hooked up correctly.

Check to make sure your solder joints/crimps are solid. Something as simple as a crimp onto the insulation of the wire and not the copper could be causing your issue.

Check to make sure the harness is making a good connection to the stock harness.(Sometime harnesses' pins dont make a good connection, Ive seen this a dozen times)

What im thinking is thats a car with a simple harness, its pretty hard to screw up. You say youve tried two different decks which means youve probably rewired the harness a couple times, so its unlikely you screwed it up each time. So go through everything here and get back to us.

Do you have anything else wired to the deck?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.