Stereo getting power, but not turning on

Participant count
  • Participant list

ACardAttack

Okay, I installed an audio-in adapter so I could plug my iphone into my stereo with out using an FM transmitter. When I installed it, the adapter didnt work, but got power. I figured okay, must be a faulty unit, the adapter lit up and my stereo worked fine. The next day my stereo stopped working. It would not turn on. When I hit the eject button, the stereo lights up and ejects the disc, same when I insert the disc, but it will not power on when I hit the power button; it also will flash the time if I hit the clock button. The adapter doesnt light up at all. I checked my wiring, I thought it might be the ground, but my soldering was still fine and I even re-did it just in case. So I dont think its in the stereo, this is effecting both the stereo and the adapter, so before the power reaches the stereo.

What could it be? Could it not be getting enough power? Could the adapter want too much power and thus split the power not allowing both devises enough power to turn on? Could it be a fuse some where? I checked my fuse box, but my car may have more than one I dont know about, I am looking for my manual.

Thanks

Okay, I installed an audio-in adapter so I could plug my iphone into my stereo with out using an FM transmitter. When I installed it, the adapter didnt work, but got power. I figured okay, must be a faulty unit, the adapter lit up and my stereo worked fine. The next day my stereo stopped working. It would not turn on. When I hit the eject button, the stereo lights up and ejects the disc, same when I insert the disc, but it will not power on when I hit the power button; it also will flash the time if I hit the clock button. The adapter doesnt light up at all. I checked my wiring, I thought it might be the ground, but my soldering was still fine and I even re-did it just in case. So I dont think its in the stereo, this is effecting both the stereo and the adapter, so before the power reaches the stereo.
What could it be? Could it not be getting enough power? Could the adapter want too much power and thus split the power not allowing both devises enough power to turn on? Could it be a fuse some where? I checked my fuse box, but my car may have more than one I dont know about, I am looking for my manual.

Thanks
It's basically in "standby mode". This is the mode it is in when the car is off. Once the key is turned, the ignition wire (switched +12v) goes +12v and your head unit goes into normal operation. You have probably popped this fuse. If you know how to solder, you know how to check voltages with a dmm. Make sure your switched power is getting 12v when the key is turned. I will guarantee you that it is not right now.

I'd say you wired the fm device wrong or didn't insulate your solder joints appropriately. I'd like pix of your soldering. Is this a stock head unit? If so I've never seen any adaptor that you can solder into a stock head unit to allow ipod support. That doesn't make sense. They don't have inputs. Aftermarket decks either have the interface or they don't.. nothing to solder so I'm confused on what you bought or why you thought it would work.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.