Step by step box buidling

TxVibe
10+ year member

Houston
Are there any sources/walkthroughs, etc for box building. I've seen plans, and I get as far as knowing how much MDF to buy and the lengths to cut them, but assembly, bracing, and finalizing all make some assumptions I don't know.

How do you cut the whole out? What type of glue, how do you make/apply the bracing, etc?

Is there a book or bible you all have? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

there are different methods. Some use a nail gun, some like to use wood screws. using liquid nails(caulk) or something similiar is good for the corners inside and some even like putting a thin bead along joints before attaching. Some also use clamps to hold it tight while the box dries. definately do some research, assess what tools you have and go with the method that works best for you. Just remember to take the time to predrill if your using wood screws to help avoid splitting/cracking.

1 5/8" coarse drywall screws, some liquid nails caulking, Titebond II for glue. the whole cut is kinda tricky but what i do is go on sketchup and create a 4' x 8' sheet and do a cut sheet on there. alternatively you can just write on the board of mdf to plan everything out. lowes and home depot will do the cuts for you but tbh you get much better results if you use a table saw or something.

as for assembling...put a line of glue where a joint will be. attach the 2 pieces together and clamp. make sure you pre drill it or else it will split like hell...don't predrill any closer than 1 1/4" from the end of the piece or it will crack on the side of it. drill in the screws making sure to press hard on the drill because MDF likes to not grip sometimes...

once the box is done, caulk the joints inside and let it cure overnight

There's about a zillion box build threads on here. I don't think there's any "rules".

Cutting the speaker hole can be done with a jigsaw and patience or a router with a circle jig attatchment. I prefer plywood to MDF because I hate working with MDF and if you get it wet it melts. Wood glue and straight cuts > liquid nails and there is no substitute for plenty of bracing.

There's about a zillion box build threads on here. I don't think there's any "rules".
Cutting the speaker hole can be done with a jigsaw and patience or a router with a circle jig attatchment. I prefer plywood to MDF because I hate working with MDF and if you get it wet it melts. Wood glue and straight cuts > liquid nails and there is no substitute for plenty of bracing.
doesnt mdf provide the needed rosonance that plywood doesnt have?

if you purchase a design from you you not only get a printable cutsheet, layout, and 3d design, you also get a nice writeup on the best way to assemble the box in the design as well as nifty tips, tricks and techniques.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.