Steel woofer enclosure

skyy406

Hey all,

I have a few questions that I hope you can help answer.

I am in the process of re-building the system in my Avenger.

Basically what I want to do it build a sub-woofer enclosure out of 1/8" thick steel. I would dynamat the entire interior of the enclosure after it has been welded up. Other than that is there really anything else I can do? Any suggestions?

I have heard a lot of recommendation of building it out of wood or fiberglass. But I like metal. I think it would be much more fun and "cool" to have a steel enclosure.

My subs would be mounted inverted because I do not want my entire trunk space taken up. I'm building the box for two Rockford Fosgate Titan 12" subs (1st gen). They are going to be powered by a Sundown SAZ-2500D amp.

My reasons for not building the box out of wood are I do not feel like investing in wood cutting tools as I have a MIG welder, Plasma cutter, angle grinders.....ect... and find metal working much more interesting. I also want something different.

I'm not looking for competetition sound or anything like that. I just want reliability and a good sound.

Any tips and criticism are appreciated.

I'm thinking resonance and flexing might be a problem. I'm no expert, but if it was as simple as dynomatting a steel box and calling it day, I'm sure it would be pretty common.

Metal resonates very easily which is why something like mdf works better because it is considered "dead". The steel enclosure will work however I don't see it being particularly practical.

you have to look at this in the acoustic way. plus you'll have a lot of noise so Just make sure it is sealed well and use lots of sound deadening material.

Im tuned in for this. Should be quite the piece of art.

I almost want to say use a ton of non-asphalt deadner both in the box and outside of the box. Just the inside may work, but I have a strong feeling you are gonna get a lot of noise.

I didn't even think about it resonating, yeah. Maybe you would be best off to just cover a nice wood box with some nicely finished thin gauge metal. I'm far from saying don't do it, I love new things.

i would just coat the inside of the box with something real thick....... it is gonna ba kinda heavy.... especially with that much..... don't suppose you can mig? i plan on doing my 12cu bed box in my lowridder of aluminum..

actualy for everyone who thinks steel is a bad thing to make boxes out of your wrong. I will try to get the pictures of this diagram loaded tonight if not it will be tomorrow

i aint going to get this chart loaded up tonight but. Steel is the best material out of mdf birch fiberglass and aluminum. i think there was something else but i dont remember

Whoa thanks for all the posts!

The thing of it is- if the box doesn't sound the way it should I can always use the metal for other projects. That is the beauty of metal working and welding. Wood, is a little more difficult once it's been glued, drilled, and screwed into.

I can layer the interior of the enclosure with as thick dynamat as I can find and clearcoat it of course.

I'll refinish the exterior so it is extremely reflective and shiny also. The interior would be braced and frankly this box is going to be 100x stronger than anything you can build out of wood. yes wood is a "deader" material i'm not arguing with you there and yes I may experience issues with odd noises- but I think I am going to give this a shot.

And, candeshop407,

I appreciate the offer but my car is nearly done a complete engine/transmission over haul- and isn't running yet- so i'd need the tools at my garage.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.