Stations come in like poo

Alpine CDA-9815
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
BFE
Alright I just installed an Alpine CDA-9884 in the Corolla. With the stock HU the radio stations came in crystal clear, with the Alpine I get quite a bit of static //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif. I just got the wiring kit and soldered everything together. The only thing I can think of is I used the OEM ground instead of making a new ground, though I don't think that could be the issue. Thoughts?

Yes it's hooked up, it did not come out. The same goes for my other car I installed an Alpine CDA-9887 in. My buds car with an aftermarket Pioneer does the same thing as well, it's annoying listening to CD's all the time cuz of this issue.

Hm, well I just installed a 9887, I can let you know if I see static once I get it started up. Will probably get batteries and stuff in tomorrow to get my car running again (took it completely apart for my build).

I had installed a kenwood excelon X692 unit 2 weeks ago though in my car and it was no difference from stock. I'll let you know if the Alpine messes anything up. I have an in-glass antenna btw.

I've put in two new head units in two vehicles in the past two months. The first was a Pioneer DEH-P4000UB, replacing the stock Panasonic tape deck in the International 4900 I drive for work. The second was an Alpine CDA-9885, replacing the stock unit in my 1998 Plymouth Breeze. Both aftermarket units sound considerably more staticky than stock, especially the Alpine. I don't know why and I don't know how to fix it, just letting you know that you aren't the only on with this problem.

Some of the newer HUs within the past few years have been very shitty. There is nothing you can really do about it. That is why they offer HD and Sirius radio...

My guess would be that today with all the other sources available to consumers that all these aftermarket companies aren't putting that much money into the AM/FM tuners. 5-10 years ago terrestrial radio was still a highly played source in the car. Well, today you have much better CD players, Ipods, satellite radio. Therefore not much R&D goes into the AM/FM tuners. I could be wrong but it sure seems like that is the case. I can remember when Pioneer came out with the "Supertuner III". Then there was the Supertuner IV which was the same thing but with RDS. Well, here we are 15 + years later and they haven't improved on that at all. That has to tell you something.

Make sure the vehicles in question do not have signal boosters on the antennas. If they do, then they need to be hooked up to the antenna wire on the head unit.
What he said. That is more than likely the problem. What year and make of Corolla is it? Where is the antenna mounted? If you have a car audio shop near you, you can probably pop in and buy an antenna adapter for your car that comes with an extra 12v wire.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.