static while raising and lowering volume

HellyHans
10+ year member

Montreal
Ok, well sometimes when I raise and lower my volume on my headunit, raising slow usually always gives me static in my speakers.. sometimes when I raise it fast also, but more often when i raise it slow.

What can cause this?Does it while car is OFF or ON

Its an alpine headunit and alpine 6 1/2's coaxial speakers. running on HU amp

Can it be related to polarity and can it be caused by too small of a gauge of wire for the speakers?

Thanks

My first guess would be that it's just that the HU amp is cheaply made and that's a side-effect. If that never happens to other alpines then I'd think it might have to do with the volume controll itself, though I doubt it uses a potentiometer of any kind.

Well the place that installed the HU used an adaptor plug from my VW wiring to my alpine HU.. so I guess it doesnt have its own dedicated ground nor power wire, its all in one plug going most likely to the fuse box... so i guess i'll try running it's own dedicated bigger power wire with a fuse and its own ground.. as I noticed its not grounded via the chassis near the radio.. its grounded via the plug to somewhere i dunno..

Ok, well sometimes when I raise and lower my volume on my headunit, raising slow usually always gives me static in my speakers.. sometimes when I raise it fast also, but more often when i raise it slow.What can cause this?Does it while car is OFF or ON

Its an alpine headunit and alpine 6 1/2's coaxial speakers. running on HU amp

Can it be related to polarity and can it be caused by too small of a gauge of wire for the speakers?

Thanks
IF it has a volume know, old school terminology...dirty pot. dust, dirt, debris gets on the contacts of the volume knob and cause 'staticky' volume adjustments.

last years model... 9827, with 4v outs..its a good HU
The first thing I thought of when I saw the title to this thread was static in a potentiometer but your head unit would have to be fairly dated to even have one. (for the volume, that is)
The 9827 incorporates no such creature in its volume control mechanism so that's not it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif (but it would appear that Beat_Dominator and I were on the same wavelength on this...)

I'll try regrounding it myself and running a dedicated power wire to it with a fuse and see how that turns out...

Its has been this way since I bought the unit..its just that its not much of a big deal to be noticed.. but i know its there..Ill propbably wait near the end of the warranty and return it and go bit** with the guy so i can get another HU, lol

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.