starter current pull on honda

Participant count
  • Participant list

lostforawhile
10+ year member

georgia
anybody know what the starter pulls on an average honda? i have an 86 accord with the 2.0 so it pulls a bit more then a regular honda, i am relocating my battery so i want to add a main battery fuse, but i need to figure out the max amp draw of the starter. the cable is fine,i am using 2 gauge aircraft battery cable,exotic stuff, but plenty capable.

You would fuse it according to the wire capability not the current draw.
2 ga, probably 15-18 feet. You couldnt go wrong with 200-250 amp fuse.
yea i have heard in cold weather our starters on these old accords can pull up to 350 amps. i was going max current draw to leave some safety room in the wire. going to put in an odyssey battery and it can produce over a thousand amps on short circuit,so plenty capable of popping the fuse in a short. i don't have a huge system, do have some current draw,but the 2 gauge would be only running at max maby 60 amps when the car isn't starting. and thats absolute max.

yea i have heard in cold weather our starters on these old accords can pull up to 350 amps. i was going max current draw to leave some safety room in the wire. going to put in an odyssey battery and it can produce over a thousand amps on short circuit,so plenty capable of popping the fuse in a short. i don't have a huge system, do have some current draw,but the 2 gauge would be only running at max maby 60 amps when the car isn't starting. and thats absolute max.
If it really will pull that much current you may want to upgrade to 0 gauge. But try it and see. If it blows the fuse you need to upgrade.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.