Started my big three today. Good so far?

phemps
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
PA
I started my big three today. It ended up being a real pain in the ass since my battery is the trunk, I used 20feet on the alt to batt and battery tovground. So I need t buy more for engine block to chassis. Okay so a question I have is when I ran my alt to bat I left the stock one on that goes down to the starter and back to the batt, and I just added the 0 gauge also and just ran it from alt directly to bat. Is this okay? and what I did so far didn't help the dimming at all is it cause I just need a better battery? I plan on buying two deka intimadadors next

Someone told me connecting it direct the alt would fry the car so I just connected it to the main under hood fuse box where the battery cable is connected. Will that work the same?

Someone told me connecting it direct the alt would fry the car so I just connected it to the main under hood fuse box where the battery cable is connected. Will that work the same?
picx

Look at the bright side, Atleast now u dont gotta use another 20' to run back to ur amps.

U arnt seeing no gains from it for one of two reasons, One being ur stock grounds. They are more important then the positive side, IMHO. U need the grounds to complete the circuit. Two COULD BE the fact your alt cant keep up with the load ur pulling. A bigger battery can "Mask" this problem, But wont nessicarily "FIX" it. If ur amps are pulling too high of a load, Your battery will eventually not be able to keep up. You are on the right track tho. Big 3 will help ur alt deliever the needed amps to ur battery. An upgraded battery will then help your alt handle the load, But it isnt anything magical. It still needs the ALT to be able to keep up, Or it will EVENTUALLY turn into a problem as well.

Get them grounds done, Then give us another progress report.

Also, Did you run 20' of ground to the front of the car as well? You "Should" have found a nice ground near your battery, As everybit of metal in your car is essentually a ground.

Ull still need a run from your alt, to your other 1/0. If not youve got a bottle neck. This could very well be the problem. Pix please.

Edit: that single pic tells us nothing.

Edit again: It does tell me something, Your still running the stock alt lead [From what i can tell you] And this is indeed a bottle neck. No use in having the 1/0, If you got a 4ga from the alt to that post.

Personally id take that 1/0 and put a fuse on it, Then run a lead from the other end of the fuse to the alt. You also need a fuse withing 18" of your batt, Just incase u get T boned, IMHO.

Look at the bright side, Atleast now u dont gotta use another 20' to run back to ur amps.
U arnt seeing no gains from it for one of two reasons, One being ur stock grounds. They are more important then the positive side, IMHO. U need the grounds to complete the circuit. Two COULD BE the fact your alt cant keep up with the load ur pulling. A bigger battery can "Mask" this problem, But wont nessicarily "FIX" it. If ur amps are pulling too high of a load, Your battery will eventually not be able to keep up. You are on the right track tho. Big 3 will help ur alt deliever the needed amps to ur battery. An upgraded battery will then help your alt handle the load, But it isnt anything magical. It still needs the ALT to be able to keep up, Or it will EVENTUALLY turn into a problem as well.

Get them grounds done, Then give us another progress report.

Also, Did you run 20' of ground to the front of the car as well? You "Should" have found a nice ground near your battery, As everybit of metal in your car is essentually a ground.
No no ha I grounded my battery right next to it. I grounded it to the stock location which is on the battery mount so I'm thinking it's not too good of a ground so I'll redo a better one when I get the wire to do the engine block ground

Before you start jumping to conclusions upgrade the grounds. They make or break the upgrade.
Indeed, BUT there is no since in having 20' of 1/0, If you got the stock alt lead inline with it.

I also just figured out were talking about two seperate cars. lol

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.