SQ Heads - What do you listen to?

Sq isn't expensive.
Listen to: good stuff that's ur style, that's recorded well.

from what ive seen , its as expensive as you make it.

my 'style' is pretty open (no ****).

i listen to metal , rock , rap , some trance/electronic and whatever oldies my fiance is playing. im just getting tired of listening to the same **** over and over again.

Find used CD's originally made from the mid 80's through the early 90's, it really doesnt matter what kind of music, it will sound better because any CD's made since the mid 90's are recorded with compression to "make them louder", which destroys the sound quality.
Avoid older music thats labeled "remastered" on recent re-releases because the record companies take older uncompressed music and add compression to resell the same music.
I can't tell you how TIRED I am of hearing that.

If compression is used wisely, which it IS a good bit of the time, then it not only lets the recording get louder, it gets rid of unwanted, overpowering peaks in the frequency spectrum, and fixes issues that EQ's cannot!

Geez... dadgome old people always griping about compression and modern mastering techniques

sq is a lot more expensive..

If compression is used wisely, which it IS a good bit of the time, then it not only lets the recording get louder, it gets rid of unwanted, overpowering peaks in the frequency spectrum,
If you're sitting in front of an orchestra, doesn't it have overpowering peaks? Why is removing that from the recording a good thing, unless the only sources in mind are MP3 players with earbuds?

But to the OP, if a certain kind of music isn't your thing, nothing we say is going to make it so. I've listened to plenty of SQ albums people have raved about, and only gotten a "meh" out of it...and I'm sure they probably think the same way about what I listen to.

but what you SQueerz listen to on a daily.
For me, it's the same. I don't see any reason why they'd be in two distinct catagories.

I listen to whatever I feel like, be it Rai, Bebob, Western Swing, Hip-Hop, Motown, or Motorhead. To me, the goal of a system is to enjoy music. Approaching it from the other direction - choosing the music on the basis of a system - isn't my thing.

If you're sitting in front of an orchestra, doesn't it have overpowering peaks? Why is removing that from the recording a good thing, unless the only sources in mind are MP3 players with earbuds?

But to the OP, if a certain kind of music isn't your thing, nothing we say is going to make it so. I've listened to plenty of SQ albums people have raved about, and only gotten a "meh" out of it...and I'm sure they probably think the same way about what I listen to.

For me, it's the same. I don't see any reason why they'd be in two distinct catagories.
Well, recording is NOT a live performance, and its purpose has changed over the years. It is to make a song sound as good as possible for regular listening. Band's live cd's are meant to be just what you're referring to.

When records were originally invented it was for recording the musicians that people loved to go hear at the orchestra, etc. It WAS for letting them listen at home to what they hear at the orchestra, you're correct. But now, that's what LIVE albums are for. Does an orchestra use reverb? No, but an orchestral venue has natural reverb. Now, that can be manipulated digitally, or, for the old-schoolers, via analog. Orchestras play in sound-treated rooms/centers, which offer them a basic form of physical compression/EQ.

So, that's why it CAN be good to use compression in recordings, IMHO.

i didnt mean to sound like i put it in a different catagory from my 'everyday' listening stuff. i just see alot of the SQ guys not even liking rap. ive obviously looked through older threads , and have been listening to what they suggest/listen to and have had the same 'meh' feeling about alot of them , but some are very good.

im still going to listen to what i listen to on whatever speakers i have , just looking to get into some new music from that crowd..

I listen to whatever I feel like, be it Rai, Bebob, Western Swing, Hip-Hop, Motown, or Motorhead. To me, the goal of a system is to enjoy music. Approaching it from the other direction - choosing the music on the basis of a system - isn't my thing.
Exactly right.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.