SQ Head Units

Decado
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Hey, I haven't really been around car audio or anything for the past 9 months, and now i'm helpin a buddy find a head unit for his car. What are some good SQ head units? I know the Alpine 9855 was pretty good, but i dunno if that's the new model anymore. Anyone have some suggestions on what HU's are good for SQ?

The new Premier 880PRS comes highly recommended...

Kenwood's eXcelon 25th Anniversary XXV-01D is superb (if you can find one) and those that have he KDC-X889 seem to love 'em...

Alpine's 9835 and 9855 have a bit of a clut following...

Several different Eclipse models (the exact numbers escape me at the moment) gather top remarks from those that have experience with them..

There's more than a few out there, guy....

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/search.gif.e79a63b2b580b39b282dff402646b704.gif

From top to bottom, I think Eclipse make the best sounding decks. If you can find one though, an RF 8240 or 8250 are excellent sounding(best I have owned).

From top to bottom, I think Eclipse make the best sounding decks. If you can find one though, an RF 8240 or 8250 are excellent sounding(best I have owned).
The majority of people that have these "Denford" units (sold as Rockford Fosgate, built by Denon) are generally unwilling to part with them or if they are it'll be a pricey aquisition more often than not.

The majority of people that have these "Denford" units (sold as Rockford Fosgate, built by Denon) are generally unwilling to part with them or if they are it'll be a pricey aquisition more often than not.

You sometimes find them used on the forums or ebay(or rockford selling refurbs).

supposedly denon had the cleanest sounding deck out there, but not enough output voltage.
Voltage is pretty insignificant, to say the least.

Personal experience; I switched from a Denford 8240 to an Eclipse 8053 (8V outputs)...and I can't say that I really liked the Eclipse more.

The Denon decks have more than adequate preout voltage.

And no, springy, that deck on the woofersetc webpage that you linked is definitely not the Denford.

RFX-8250Ti

RFX-8240

supposedly denon had the cleanest sounding deck out there, but not enough output voltage. that is the basis for the zapco deck. check it out on the zapco forum.
The 8240 had 2v preouts and the 8250Ti had 5v preouts.

Unless you have an incredibly high noise floor in your source material that should be more than enough for the average consumer, I would think...

So this pioneer premier deh-880prs, does this have the same stupid ground loop issues that all the other ones used to have or what? This one is lookin like a pretty good choice for the price. And this does have good SQ to it right? The only thing that bothers me is that it's only a 2 way crossover instead of a 3 way like the alpine 9855, but then again i've heard bad things about the 9855's so I dunno. 9835 i think would be a good choice the only problem is finding one of the bastards. Well, thanks for the help so far guys, any more input would be much appreciated.

Could you expand on the ground loop issue? The 880 has a 3-way mode that seperates L/R tuning for an effective 6-way (How about them apples?//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif), and the SQ is great. I can see if I have a ground loop problem if you tell me what it is.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.