SQ Head Unit with usb

trabadoor22
10+ year member

I'm looking at three hu's right now, the Alpine 9887, Pioneer 800, and the Eclipse 7200. I'm leaning towards the Pioneer mainly do to the Eclipse's poor reception and from I've heard poor ipod controls. I'm not sure if the Alpine has a usb connection or not. From what I have read if you use a hu's usb connection with an ipod you can bypass the ipod's d/a converter, which with then use the hu's. I don't know if that is accurate though. I know that most will say why am I choosing a sq hu if I’m using an ipod. Well, I use and ipod about 50% of the time and when I use one I always download with a lossless format. Basically I want to use my hu's d/a converter, have full ipod control on the hu, and be able to charge the ipod. Thanks for any info or help deciding which one to go with.

The Pioneer DEH-P800PRS does not have USB level Ipod control. Inorder to do that you need to buy the CDIB100II (which is NOT USB, Ipod ONLY) that retails for around $60. That adapter won't charge any of the newer Ipods either. The same time they released the Ipod Touch and the nano (whatever generation came out the same time period), they changed it to a 5 volt charging system. So you will need to buy yet another adapter to change it from the older 12V to the new 5V. Scoche has one that retails for around $15. Its an amazing HU for sound quality don't get me wrong.

One thing I should mention that you are probably already aware of, Most compressed music loses its audio quailty that you are trying to achieve with a high end headunit. Unless you are copying straight from the original CD in Lossless Audio format, there is no real point to go for such an expensive stereo.

You fail.
Wow very informative. If you read my post I listen to a portable music device, a zune, about 50% of the time. I wrote ipod because that's what most hu's are compatible with. And at least with the zune you can rip with up to roughly 1000 bit rate. To my knowledge full cd quality bit rate is roughly 1400 so to my ears and by my math it is pretty close to a cd's quality. Is it perfect, no. That's why I also use cd's. So next time if you would like to tell me with actual information why I am wrong then great, I don't mind being wrong and I enjoy learning. Otherwise keep comments like that to yourself.

Thanks yodatech for the info.

that would not give him the hu control of ipod that he wants
Very true. Also I have tried that with my zune. The aux works great, but when I use a car charger I get really bad noise. I tried two brand name chargers and they both did this. I am actually thinking of going with the Eclipse 5030. I was originally looking at the 7200, but the display is awful. I have an Eclipse 8443 which I love except it is very hard to see the display, it isn't able to control an ipod on the menu and I think one of the preouts is going bad. The 5030 looks like everything I need, I would just like to compare it to the Alpine 9887 if I can check them out side by side.

Plugging the Ipod/Zune in through the AUX will eliminate any chance of audio quality. At that rate, buy yourself a simple USB level stereo instead and save yourself a ton of money.

You can still get okay sound quality with the aux input. Or maybe my ears just aren't as picky as some people's.

You can still get okay sound quality with the aux input. Or maybe my ears just aren't as picky as some people's.
If you are really going for the sound quality that the 800PRS puts out, an auxiliary input is a joke. Unless you are using store bought cd's or Lossless audio MP3's then its a waste of a stereo and your money.

Sound Quality and AUX don't go together. SQ is not about adjusting bass, mid and treble. There is timing in speakers, sound staging, and so many other aspects. Aux gives you a flat input that can't be adjusted more than High, Mid, and Low. To even have the two mentioned together cracks me up.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.