Sq, cone area, & driver #'s

pimpnyou204
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I know u can't always follow ts specs 100% but generally the larger the sub in a sub line u get a lower fs which generally allows u to tune lower. How does this really relate to smaller subs for instance. I have 2 12s now if I went with 3 10 I'd have a slight bit more cone area and with more drivers I'd be able to split my wattage up would this allow for more accurate bass notes or would even the large ones have the same transient time? Smaller subs also usually have less excursion is this also gonna effect how your lows come out?

Fs is hardly accurate unless you are running an infinite baffle (free air) setup. Fs is measured when the sub is being ran free air. Drop it in an enclosure and it will perform to what you tune it to. I had a pair of 8's tuned to 33hz and it got low just fine, it was actually flexing my doors.

fs factors into how low a speaker well play well to some degree. usually a high fs means the speaker has a very stiff suspension, which means it will take a lot more power to get it to excurt to play lows well. sometimes the coil cant take this power and it will blow. with a low fs speaker the suspension is loose and it doesnt take as much power to get it moving.

this is not really a scientific theory, just something i have noticed. i could be totall wrong. i know a speaker with an fs of 40+ will play in the 20hz, but i have noticed that subs with an fs of lower than 30hz play them much easier and sound much smoother and stronger playing them. doesnt sound forced out (for lack of betterwords)

to answer the OP's question, no. different sized subwoofers have around the same transient time, you will not notice a difference. if switching from a 10 to an 18, you MIGHT notice that the 18 is a little boomy and lower sounding, but not by much and maybe not at all with a really well designed 18" subwoofer. switching to 3 10's however does give you more motor force (given they are the same subs) which can result in punchier bass, where it kind of hits you in the chest more. again, this is just from my experience

Agreed ^^^^ hit hit the nail on the head. More motor force and less excursion than smaller subs. Smaller subs more power and more excursion to be just as loud at said tone. And generally the less excursion you have the more linear you coil will be when moving thus less distortion and better sq. But there are exceptions to certain subs and how you build you box.

So would u say if I changed my speakers to 3 10 it would be better than 2 12? Assuming I had the same equal rms and I tuned to 30? Would lows come out cleaner and more forceful bcuz u have another hole motor or woulD it be the same bcuz the extra inch excursion on a 12 would move more air? Keeping in mind great sq while doing all this.

Also what would u recommend for 2 12 and 3 10 with a total rms rating of 3-4k (AQ 3500.) with great sq and tuning at around 30.

you can achieve anything if you just choose and then build . I have had tens hit dam hard and I had 12s hit dam hard. just pick and start designing

So.. much.. misinformation.

If you want to know how stiff something is, look at CMS. But this along with other factors such as mms will give you FS. Yes, theyre related, but dont base your decisions off that directly.

And as a side note, there are times where you want an FS higher than that of your low end goal.

Response, sound of a woofer, etc etc are really all determined by the enclosure and environment. Though the enclosure is partly decided by the woofer, it should be ultimately decided by the listening objective - as should the woofer. You wouldnt (shouldnt..) buy a super strong sub THEN decide you want an SQ oriented sound stage. Everything should be properly planned ahead when done correctly.

Though, little does this happen. 99% of people in car audio buy a sub because it looks cool, they like the brand, or it has a big motor d00d and want to use it in some enclosure it isnt fit for. Example, bandpass. Though it isnt their fault, they are none the wiser of proper planning in a system.

There is no real answer to your question, OP. It is so vague that anyone pretending to have the answer would be a liar. What really is your idea of "accurate" and "transient"? If I had to take a shot, Id say you want some low powered subs with low distortion (shorting ring/xbl/etc) a well designed enclosure, good midbass and some time alignment amongst others. Even then, you probably wouldnt like the sound, though the lack of distortion and all the fun stuff would give you a good soundstage.

Our perception of bass isnt just the lower notes. Kick drum accuracy and the like isnt going to be perfected by a substage only.

And yadda yadda..

I get what your saying and I know there's a ton of variables out there. I have the hdc3 their loud I like them but I think I want something less spl and more sq oriented and I can tune lower. Usually the more heavy sq subs I tend to find are in 1k rms and being I have a 3500 watt amp and I can only fit 2 12s I could also fit 3 10s. The 3 10s would give me the extra 1k rms and the same cone area.

I'm basically looking for a good sq sub that can tune low and either 2 12 or 3 10 that will all total up to be 3k rms and I'm looking for suggestions which would be the better the option for tuning low and sq or if they both can be completely equal in their most optimized design. So if anyone can point me in the right direction of some sub ideas I'd appreciate that too.

with the same sub, with same power going to each sub, 10's will probably give you slightly more bass. all depends on enclosure

look into 2 12" ssa xcons

The xcons look perfect but would the icons be their more sq sub? I could do 3 of the 10 icons. Plus seeing the new xcon came out I doubt I'll be able to pick one up cheap ya know.

The xcons look perfect but would the icons be their more sq sub? I could do 3 of the 10 icons. Plus seeing the new xcon came out I doubt I'll be able to pick one up cheap ya know.
xcon's ftw

003.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.