SQ 4-Channel Amp question

nickexpy
10+ year member

I know people on here can get tired of the same old questions about which amp to buy etc... So here is my quesiton, obviously since I am pretty new and just finished my first install I cannot afford Sinfoni, Audison, Brax, Arc, Tru, etc... amps yet. I have been looking at older PPI, Orion, Sounstream Ref.,and Pheonix Gold amps that seem to fall into the SQ category but they always have a relatively large foot print and I need someing that will fit under a rear captains chair. Currenlty I have an Alpine V12 F353 powering my RE reference and Clif Desings 6.5 component sets, which it does well but it is also rather large and takes up more space then I anticipated. Finally, I want to know what to look for in choicing a amp worthy of SQ, which specs mean more in this regard. I have been looking at THD but I assume there maybe more to it then that. Here are a few that I have been pondering:

Sound Stream STL4.320

Cadence FXA4050

Alpine MRP-F300

MB Quart RAB450

Powerbass ASA400.4

Any incite about what to look for would be most appreciated. I seem to search and search to find only bits and pieces but never the whole picture.

Thanks,

I've got an MB Quart RAA4200 I'm trying to sell //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

200 shipped!

150-200 initially but something a little higher would not be out of the question, just may take longer to aquire.

Thanks for the offer of the MB Quart but I'm looking more for information currently.

I appreciate it though.

Thanks,

Too bad you need a 4 channel, otherwise I'd say go with the Elf E2125X. Same board as an Arc KS mini, parts could be different but it's the same layout. Plus they're 150 BIN on eBay with free shipping.

Some I'm guessing the amps I have listed are not really meeting SQ criteria? Or not good enough quality?

Soundstream STL 4.320 -- THD @ 4ohm is 0.03%

Alpine MRP-F300 -- THD @ rms = 1%

Cadence FXA4050 -- Min.

MB Quart RAB-450 -- THD @ rms = 0.03%

PowerBass ASA400.4 -- THD @ rms = 0.05%

So I assuming that beyond THD it goes to build quality?

Thanks,

You stated Phoenix Gold, and there's a reason I use them. I have a PG ZX450v2 that's rated to do 75 x 4 @ 4 ohms,but benched 111 x 4 @ 4 ohms and on the (old school) birth sheet it showed the THD at 85 watts to be at .001%, and at (what looks to be) 105 watts- .01% THD.

The graph on the paper is faded and old so it's not the easiest to read on the wattage side, but the THD side is in pretty big print.

Not toooo big of a footprint IMO for its power output.

It is interesting that you mention that one becasue I have been mainly looking at that model in black, A/D/S PQ40 or the Soundstream reference 604amps. This is off course later on though, when I have designed the layout better for placement of a larger amp. I measured my area for placement, I only have 10x9 to play with. This is leaning towards the Soundstream I mentioned earlier and dealign with it for now.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.