SPL and THD

pimpnyou204
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Ok I've read about 10 threads on THD and spl and amp limits. Now my question is would 2 exact rms (matched to your subs) ran at 1ohm or 2 lager amps ran down to 4ohms or even 2 ohms be better?

All costs aside obviously and stupidness (amp gain matching and single chamber subs.) would running at a higher ohm be that muchore effective? Would u have less current draw running 2 4ohm than same said amp at 1ohm? Also would the lower THD allow for a slightly higher tuned gain and increase a db or 2?

Ok amps are measure in THD (total harmonic distortion) generally at 4 ohm as u decrease in your ohm load your THD will usually double meaning a less clean signal.

Now as with ohm loads the lower you go the more current your going to draw.

Lets say you have 2 subs with a 1000 rms each. Putting all money aside would it be better to run 1 2000 watt amp at 1 ohm or run 2 of that same amp at a 4 ohm load giving you 1000 rms to each sub. Because you have a higher ohm load would the 2 amps draw less current than the single amp or would they both pull the same?

Next part of the question.. Assuming you use the 2 amps at a higher impediance (4ohms) your going to have a better THD would this allow for you to "turn the gain up" a little more giving you more rms than less clean 1 ohm load or would they both clip at the same point?

was waiting for someone to chime in to help me figure out what he is asking. i think he is asking if he runs 2 amps at 4 ohms instead of running 1 amp at 1ohm, will the 4ohm be more efficient. sound about right
Exactly right but im kind of taking it a little bit further than since i dont have a meter or O scope i cant exactly test these theories. I dont really see anyone spending double the money for this but i mean if you could would it be better for the SQ freak to do it?

Exactly right but im kind of taking it a little bit further than since i dont have a meter or O scope i cant exactly test these theories. I dont really see anyone spending double the money for this but i mean if you could would it be better for the SQ freak to do it?
Yes, it would be well worth it. It would extend the life of your amps, help your electrical system, keep everything cooler, and present a very clean sound. Hell, you could even get crazy with some 8 ohm stuff. Lol. But many SQ people do do this concept, but most SQ people dont need a whole bunch of watts, they usually arent too interested in a bunch sub power.

This would be true if my car ran on 34v with no voltage drops just magically. Theres infinite holes in a car for a speaker but everyones limited on electrical power.
Then why not buy an amp that runs at 1 ohm within your electrical limitations?

if your worried about SQ, then why are you worried about SPL? just asking
The same reason people look at sensitivity and not just watts on a speaker. And THD damping factor and DB on a amp.

Its called efficiency; using the most amount of watts as efficiently as u can so u can get the most out of them.

The same reason people look at sensitivity and not just watts on a speaker. And THD damping factor and DB on a amp.Its called efficiency; using the most amount of watts as efficiently as u can so u can get the most out of them.
SOOOO, you're willing to spend 500 dollars on an amp that will put out xWatts at 4 ohms, instead of 200 on an amp that will do xWatts at 1 ohm, just to avoid electrical problems, you could buy a couple batteries or pick up a used alt for 300 bucks.

Real world example:

http://www.audioque.com/AQ1200D-Amplifier_p_30.html - 1200 @ 1: $250

http://www.audioque.com/AQ3500D1-Amplifier_p_32.html - 1400 @4: $750

that's 500 dollars bro, that's a 270amp alt .

So your telling me if 2 amps could use the same power and give you 400 more total watts you wouldnt do it?
Sure i'd go with the amp that pushes more power, if they were within 50 dollars of each other, but i doubt efficiency comes cheap.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.