Speakers play bass and I don't want them to.

EpicMango
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Colorado
So. When I do get my sub system for my car, I want the subs to play the bass, and let the speakers do the rest. My question is right now without a system, I have to set the bass on my deck to -3 (does to -7 to +7) to keep my speakers from playing bass, and when my really bassed up songs come on, I have to go to -5. My question is when I do get my system, all hooked up and bumpin, will my speakers continue to play bass? I went to a car toys rep and they said that they will and that I'll need a 5 channel amp to allow the speakers to play within their frequencies and the sub to play its frequences. Is this true? I have a Boss 612UA Deck (Don't criticize my deck, it does what everything I want it to). It doesn't have a crossover. Are there decks that have a crossover that I can set so everybodies happy? What can I do? I'd obviously prefer the most cheapest way to fix this, I don't want a $300 solution, when there are cheaper ways to do it.

bro all you have to do is buy those bass blockers off ebay, before i had all the speakers in my camaro amplified via a 2 channel 400 watt amp i did this all u do is wire em into the positive wire and presto bass gone.

ebay>bass blocker>buy>install>be happy!

or u can just buy another amp and u will REALLY BE HAPPY!

Your boss deck doesn't seem to have pre-outs for a sub amp, so you'll have to tap into the speaker input. By doing this, the setup on your desk will come through on your sub amp. If you turn down the bass on your HU, it'll change how your sub reacts (you most likely will not like it). Here's my suggestion: when you get your bump in your trunk, zero all the eq settings on your HU and set the gains properly (do a search on the forum how to do this). The sub will most likely overpower your stock speakers so it won't be a big deal to have them doing double duty. I had this setup for years and it was fine. If you decide that you absolutely need to cut out the bass, you should do a chat with a parts-express tech and ask about bass blockers.

I'd recommend not worrying about this until it's actually a problem.

Thats ******* awesome!!!! Hahaha, thats literally the cheapest solution ever!!!! You rawk //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Thats ******* awesome!!!! Hahaha, thats literally the cheapest solution ever!!!! You rawk //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
If that was directed at me, I'm all cheap solutions. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Your boss deck doesn't seem to have pre-outs for a sub amp, .
I literally just went down to my car, took my deck out, and there are 2 RCA (Red and White) connections....If I'm not mistaken those are bass outputs..

Hmm, I looked it up and didn't see any. My mistake. Those are preamp outs. Does the deck have sub volume control? If so, then that would solve the problem. Install the amp and sub, hook it up to the back of the deck via RCA and let 'er fly.

Hmm, I looked it up and didn't see any. My mistake. Those are preamp outs. Does the deck have sub volume control? If so, then that would solve the problem. Install the amp and sub, hook it up to the back of the deck via RCA and let 'er fly.
It does have Bass controls, as I said, I have to set them to -3 to eliminate my speakers from playing the lows. But even then, I don't want to set the bass on the deck to -5, and have less bass coming from the sub. I'ma get those bass blockers, and turn the bass up and feel my brain vibrate in my Skull. This forum ******* ROCKKSSS //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

It does have Bass controls, as I said, I have to set them to -3 to eliminate my speakers from playing the lows. But even then, I don't want to set the bass on the deck to -5, and have less bass coming from the sub. I'ma get those bass blockers, and turn the bass up and feel my brain vibrate in my Skull. This forum ******* ROCKKSSS //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
Gotcha.

Bass controls are not subwoofer controls. your two sets of preouts are probably front/rear and not a dedicated subwoofer output. Boss decks are cheap and if you hook up your sub amp to either one of those then your amp will adjust to the settings you set it for on your fronts or rears. Alot of people in that case would hook it up to the rear output, so if you fade it to the front your rear speakers and subwoofer will go out. Id get a different deck with a dedicated subwoofer output or at least a switchable rear/non fader output.

And your interiors should play some bass. As car toys told you basically your interiors should play down to a certain frequency where the sub picks up. If you have your sub set at a 80hz crossover on your amp for example... you should be having your rears or whatever you have play to that or close to so you have a full range. If you just want treble from your interiors and bass from your sub and not a complete sound then just do what you were planning on. Alot of people do

Sounds like that boss unit only has full range output. Set of capacitors on the speakers (bass blockers) for a 6db HPF would work. I had to do that on my bronco's "premium" amp way back when. Head unit I had at the time didn't have any High Pass Filter on the outputs.

Rear of his head unit.

612ua.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.