Speakers cut out stereo unit, subs, and amp still work. Help!?!?!

Participant count
  • Participant list

burnm3w1thf1r3

NEPA
I have a 96 Jetta Trek with a stock system as far as I know. I had a low grade JVC head unit in that I wired myself and worked fine for about 2 years. While driving the 2 front and 2 rear speakers cut out but my subs and amp in the trunk would still work. After cutting power (the main plug to the head unit) waiting 10 seconds or so and plugging it back in it all the speakers would work but after turning the volume up they would cut out again (amp and subs still working). I bought a Kenwood head unit off a friend and wire that up today but getting the same effect. At volume 10 all speakers work, but turning it up to 15 or 20 the 2 front and 2 rear speakers cut out and even lowering the volume doesn't fix it. I have to cut all power wait several seconds and repower and of course not turn up the volume.

What could the problem be? Thanks in advance for help!!!

You probably have a or some bad speakers.
Agree. Could be a short in the front or rear speaker wires as well. Typically the HU will shut down front AND rear if it is seeing overload on ANY of the speaker outputs.

OP - do you have access to an ohm meter? If so unplug from the HU and measure resistance across each speaker (+) to (-) wire. Also measure between each speaker wire and ground. If any are shorted or very low ohms compared to others then that is likely your problem. Once you have isolated it to a speaker, you will have to find out if the wiring is bad or if the voice-coil is shorted out.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.