Speakers are louder than my subwoofer

Pearson
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Florida
I finally got around to installing my sub and i'm not happy with the output at all. I have a dd 1008 sub and hifonics hifi1000.1d amp.

I set the gains according to the sticky. 475*4=1900 SQRT1900=43.5889. Closest I could get to that was 43.6 and that's with volume at 25/35. Eq on the head unit was bass +2 treble +4 subwoofer +4 all other eq was turned off. There was BBC and a sub setting 1/2 (left it at 1 which was standard) and anytime adjusting the bass/treble setting in settings it only worked for the door speakers. I used a 35hz tone since that's what my box is tuned to.

I normally listen to music at 20 but figured 25 would be nice if I actually wanted to run it full tilt for a couple of demo's. I destroyed my front speakers so all I have in is the nissan factory 4" in the rear doors. It ***** but i've kinda been getting used to it. on 20 they are loud enough and by changing bass on the HU it affects the doors and makes them sound like *** and it's just awful.

If you have any idea what could be wrong please let me know. The sub doesn't even move 1/8" and there's basically no output. I have to put my hand on the sub and there's a little vibration but not enough to tell. I though I had the polarity wrong so I switched the pos and neg wires= No difference. I used a 9v battery and on the pos wire and neg wire the sub pushes out. Switched them around and the sub goes in so I think that was maybe an issue but it still doesn't affect the output at all. There's a red wire from the sub and a dark brownish, I thought the red was pos and the brown was neg. If I did the battery trick right then they are backwards and the red is actually neg. Kinda weird.

I bought the sub off a guy on cacao and it was brand new/never used. I'm getting tired of having all these issues with my system and i'm about at the point where I just want to rip it out and say **** it. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

I'll give that a try. Could there be any other issues?

You also have an 8" sub on 400 watts. I don't know how much output you are expecting from it.
Enough to make me realize there's a sub back there. lol I know it won't be super loud but it should at least let me know there's something back there.

If that's an Alpine HU turn your subwoofer to 15/15 and then set your gains.
I set the gains and then afterwards turned it to 15 and it almost had the output I thought I should be getting from the sub but it still wasn't anything. I had door speaker issues so I disconnected the sub and i'm not gonna be running it until those other speakers are fixed.

it sounds like you have got a setting wrong on the head unit or you have your amp gains and settings wrong.

what I would do is **** around with the hu settings untill you get it as loud as it can get without having the bass turned up on the head unit, then go back to the amp and adjust the gains. sure you MIGHT be clipping it this way but, it sounds like your gain is not up far enough

The sub-woofer setting that you left at 1. change it to 2 it gives full output at lower volumes.

50hz tone should be used

For testing purposes disregard the DMM method turn your headunit volume to a level where you are going to listen to it at (in this case 25?) then turn the subwoofer gains up. If you max out the gains and still have no output then you forsure have another problem.

I'm thinking that your LP filter or HP filter are too high or too low preventing your subwoofer from playing certain frequencies. Check and re-check them.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.