speaker pop

pilyin
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
I'm guessing I've got a grounding issue going on. I've got the stuff in my sig. I've added a ground to the HU ground. I've done the RCA grounding thing. I think my amp grounds are good, but I'll try grounding them somewhere else when I get home (I'm at work). When my HU volume is at zero or off, I get engine hum through the speakers. When I turn my radio on or turn the volume to 1 or more (out of 35 or so) there is a loud pop, and the hum goes away. There is also loud pops when I change radio stations, tracks on a cd and stuff like that. Any idea's that might help get rid of this?

HU grounded to the steel support bars behind the dash. Amps grounded to the metal behind the trunk trim (same general area the tail lights are grounded to). Another thing - my distribution block has what looks like a grounding post, but I tried that last night and it didn't help. It also lit up a couple of lights on the D-block. I'll call the company about that today and see if it is a grounding post. The lights lit up red, but it seemed that they would light up blue (from the color when they're off) so I'm going to call on this. It wasn't mentioned anywhere in the amp kit instructions.

Also - power wire it 1/0 g to D-block. 4 g. after D-block.

edit: All grounding points were sanded down to bare metal.

same general area the tail lights are grounded to

that could be the problem switch the ground and see wats good with tha. happens alot when a shared grounds.

Woah, you just grounded your distro block? Yeah, that will light stuff up quick. That's the same as touching the power wire from your battery right to the chassis. Unless I misunderstood what you were trying to explain.

When you say you added a ground to the HU...so it is grounded twice now? That could create a ground loop, hence the humming. Use one ground only for each component.

And under normal circumstances, RCAs do not need to be grounded.

I'd say you have a grounding issue. Too much of it?

same general area the tail lights are grounded to
that could be the problem switch the ground and see wats good with tha. happens alot when a shared grounds.
It's not grounded to the same point. I ment it's to the same type of ground.

I tried grounding the D-block. That didn't help. (some D-blocks are made to be grounded). That didn't work. Still had the hum.

Woah, you just grounded your distro block? Yeah, that will light stuff up quick. That's the same as touching the power wire from your battery right to the chassis. Unless I misunderstood what you were trying to explain.
When you say you added a ground to the HU...so it is grounded twice now? That could create a ground loop, hence the humming. Use one ground only for each component.

And under normal circumstances, RCAs do not need to be grounded.

I'd say you have a grounding issue. Too much of it?
1. Some D-blocks are made with a grounding post.

2. More than one ground is not going to cause problems (check big 3 thread and stickied hum thread).

3. Some HU's don't have a very good RCA ground on them (pioneer especially, sony at times also) and adding the ground can eliminate hum (check stickied hum thread).

But thanks for replying (no sarcasm intended).

1. Some D-blocks are made with a grounding post.2. More than one ground is not going to cause problems (check big 3 thread and stickied hum thread).

3. Some HU's don't have a very good RCA ground on them (pioneer especially, sony at times also) and adding the ground can eliminate hum (check stickied hum thread).

But thanks for replying (no sarcasm intended).
I like how you're able to cite all these sources, yet you can't ground properly.

The only D-blocs I've seen with a ground are ones with a voltage display, please inform me of any other instance.

I don't think you fully grasp the topics which you've chosen to cite.

I like how you're able to cite all these sources, yet you can't ground properly.
The only D-blocs I've seen with a ground are ones with a voltage display, please inform me of any other instance.

I don't think you fully grasp the topics which you've chosen to cite.
I called the company that made my D-block. It has a ground post and actually is supposed to be grounded according to them. It has no voltage display. I guess mine is one of those you haven't seen.

I've done all of those things and I believe my grounds are OK. (this is not my first install). I actually do understand the cited areas. I've done them. They just haven't solved my problem yet.

Also, maybe I'm wrong. Can you have to many grounding points? That's not something I've heard of before. That's not something I've heard of in electronics before (and I did have to study them some). I'm not saying I'm a pro. Just saying I do have some experience. I'm just stuck with this one.

Few things I found out on my lunch break. I only get the pop through one of the RCA's. My subs aren't in right now. My back speakers don't pop. I don't have both front comp speakers in at the moment. Could this cause the popping and humming (maybe picking up a signal through the crossover, because the crossover is hooked up, but has empty wires coming out of it. The tweet and woofer aren't hooked up yet)? Maybe a bad RCA? I'll do some more trouble shooting at my next break. Seems like my grounds OK though because the rear speakers don't pop or hum. I have a few leads to check when I get home though.

Any other testing or checking points would be appreciated.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.