Speaker polarity?

caper26

Hi guys. Recently re-wired entire sound system, new amp & sub, etc, and re-using speakers for now (sony xplod). The problem i ran into when I went to run the new wires was this: What is the POS and what terminal is the NEG ?? Is there a way to test it with a meter or something? My front speakers are the same way... 2 terminals with no indication from what i could see... please help, it is all assembled and ready to test!

If the 2 terminals are right next to eachother, the positive is going to be on the left. You can test it with a DMM -- iirc when you check resistance and you have the leads flipped it should read -4.0 ohms or something instead. (This may only apply to testing voltage, I honestly don't remember)

dude! Thanks for the fast reply !! Just what i needed. I will check it with the meter, but yes, they are side-by-side terminals, with the leads going to the cone visible to the terminals as well...

dude! Thanks for the fast reply !! Just what i needed. I will check it with the meter, but yes, they are side-by-side terminals, with the leads going to the cone visible to the terminals as well...
Positive is going to be on the left then. If you hook it up and it doesn't sound right just flip the speaker wire

To summarize the responses:

You can't test speaker polarity with a DMM. resistance is the same either way.

You can test speaker polarity by taking a 1.5V battery, adding wires to each end, and briefly touching the terminals. When the cone moves out, you have the battery wired correctly. Don't short the wires, you don't want battery acid in your hands.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.