Speaker (not sub) wire sizes? Before and after amp?

Participant count
  • Participant list
I'm going to be installing an amp for my component speakers, which are Alpine S-Type 6.75s, rated for 80w @ 4ohm. I'm unsure of the amp yet but it'll probably be ~75w per channel. I'm going to be using the stock head unit and speaker level inputs on the amp. The truck has 20ga wire stock.

What gauge wire should I use from HU to amp and from amp to speakers? Is there a chart or formula used to calculate this? Will there be a noticeable difference in the sound quality if I just go with the stock wires?

You shouldn't need speaker wire from the head unit to the amp unless you're using a factory head unit or one that has only a subwoofer output. If either is the case, 18-20 gauge wire is fine. Likewise with the wiring after the amp, although I prefer to use 16 gauge.

As for a sound quality difference, you'll only notice one if you've paid too much for your wire and need to justify it to yourself, lol.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.