Speaker and Amp compatibility?

jwayne

CarAudio.com Newbie
Texas
Hello, just a heads up I'm extremely new to car audio and really need some help picking the right stuff to buy. I'm running on a pretty low budget, but I want to do the best I can with the money I have. So the speakers I have right now that I want to run is one 12" 4 ohm woofer (KFC-W120SVC) that's rated for 250w RMS and 1000w max, 2 KFC-6966R at 45w rms and 400w max in the rear, and 2 JBL 6.5" Club 6520 at 50w RMS and 150w max in the front (which are labeled as 3ohm(?) on the JBL website). I would like to be able to run all of it without having to buy 2 different amps, so I read up on 5 channel amps. I've seen boss a lot and found a boss PV3700 on ebay. The specs on Boss' website says it will run up to 206w RMS x 4 @ 4ohms, and on the 5th channel it will run up to 563 RMS @ 4ohms. This seems pretty overpowered for the rms rating on all of my speakers, but does that matter? Would I be better off getting a four channel and a monoblock? I also saw examples of people running a 4 channel amp with 4 speakers on 2 channels then running the sub bridged on channels 3 and 4, could I do this on a cheaper boss amp or no? Am I way overestimating the watts I need? Another amp I was looking at was the Boss R2504 (R2504 | BOSS Audio Systems, a Leading Audio & Video Brand ), but would that one work with 4 speakers and a sub? If I didn't post in the right place I apologize, I'm fresh to the forum. Thanks in advance

I'd stay away from anything boss...it's about low of quality as you can find on top of their amps being way overrated on power...

Here's a couple that'd be way better and more reliable than boss...they're around $200...

On a budget, I would skip replacing the rear speakers and amping them. You want good speakers in front of you. Buy the jbl’s, the subwoofer and a 4 channel amplifier. Bridge the rear channels for the subwoofer.

Ok thanks. The skar rp600.5 looks perfect actually, they layed out the watts much different than the cheap amps, which just say “it’s 1200 watts”🤓

On a budget, I would skip replacing the rear speakers and amping them. You want good speakers in front of you. Buy the jbl’s, the subwoofer and a 4 channel amplifier. Bridge the rear channels for the subwoofer.
Ok so if I just ran the jbl’s and the sub how would I pick an amp that suits that? Is it okay to run an amp that puts off 90w rms @ 4ohms on a single channel with a speaker that has an rms of 50w? Would this damage anything? I read one place that you want your amp rms per channel to be lower than the rms of each speaker, is that true or does it not really matter? Sorry lot of questions, it really interests me. Thanks

For a budget setup with the equipment you describe, I would probably just run a Taramps ds440x4. Does rated power + and can be bought new for $100.

For a budget setup with the equipment you describe, I would probably just run a Taramps ds440x4. Does rated power + and can be bought new for $100.

You think that would supply enough power without getting too hot, running a 12” and 2 6.5” at higher volumes? I guess if I wanted to upgrade to running my 6x9” as well I could buy a separate monoblock, but by then I would have put in the same amount of money as buying the 5 channel. Have you run any taramp before?

I run Taramps amplifiers in my car. A ds800x2 and a smart 3.
I used to run a ds440x4 bridged on some high powered 6.5 speakers. Never had any problems with it. The only reason that I do not use one now is that I got a smoking deal on the 800x2.

One more question, if I ran my front and rear speakers in parallel on 2 channels, and the sub on the other 2 would that work? The specs says the taramp gives 110w per channel @ 2ohms, which the speakers would be 2ohms instead of 4ohms when they’re in parallel. If my speakers are 50w rms a piece, then that should work theoretically right? That seems like a lot for the small 440 but on paper it should work right???

All it says on the wire is “high strand 4 gauge pro power cable”. Will running CCA hurt my system or is the preference just cause OFC is a better conductor so my system will be more efficient?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...