Sparking power cable

Participant count
  • Participant list

Kellytom

Hi guys, I have in my car just a vide blackair 1400w sub and 2 6x9s that were both working absolutely fine for 6 months up until a few days ago. What I had done is ran one battery cable on a deprecate side of my car which went straight to the back and then when through a fused splitter and then into both amps. Only now both the fuses on the amps (one 30amp fuse in the sub and a 25amp fuse for the 6x9s) have blown but not affected any of the fuses on the system. So now I've pulled the 6x9s out and I only want to run the sub but whenever I touch the battery cable to the positive input it sparks like crazy and keeps blowing the fuse. So thinking it was a dodgy amp I tried with the 6x9 and it does it to that. Previous to connecting the 6x9s up I did only have my sub in and it work fine. What could cause this and how can I stop it? I'd appreciate some help.

Thanks!

Is it one good spark after disonnecting and then reconnecting? If it is you need to disconnect Batt ground pull fuses and this is the important one after all power is disconnected ground the pos terminal to discarge the internal capacitors inside the amp. If its a constant sparking you have bigger issues but it sounds like a stored charge in amps. I have had that before and wandered W.T.F. but its just what capacitors do. You can use a little 14 ga jumper to discharge tem I use a set of test leads with alligator clips.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.