Soundstream?

Ffej

Looking for a class D 100W X 2 amp (nothing special but not junk) for two 5.25" coax door speakers and stumbled onto to this one. Worth $98 or is it an expensive paperweight?

Soundstream PN2.350

Class D Digital Amplifier

Full MOSFET PWM Power Supply

SMD Technology on Double Sided PCB

8GA Power and 8 GA Speaker Output Terminals

High and Low Level Signal Inputs

Remote Out Port

Remote Mount Gain Control Included

Variable 35-250Hz 12dB High/Low Pass Filter

Variable 0-12dB at 45Hz Bass Boost

2-Ohm Stereo, 4-Ohm Bridged Stable

115W x 2 @ 4-Ohm Stereo

175W x 2 @ 2-Ohm Stereo

350W x 1 @ 4-Ohm Bridged

Total harmonic Distortion: 0.5%

Frequency Response: 10Hz-20KHz

Signal-to-Noise Ratio: 70dB

Damping Factor: > 100

Stereo Channel Separation:

Input Sensitivity: 200mV-6V

Dimensions: 4.75" W x 1.5" H x 5.5" L

Soundstream is budget minded really. With the exception of their Reference series, which is close to what they offered in the 90's. Yes I know I have them as well but I'm on a budget and if I could I would take a better brand. But for now, they work.

That 0.5% THD is scary. You wanna look for an amp that has something better like .003%, for example, or so.

Soundstream is budget minded really. With the exception of their Reference series, which is close to what they offered in the 90's. Yes I know I have them as well but I'm on a budget and if I could I would take a better brand. But for now, they work.
That 0.5% THD is scary. You wanna look for an amp that has something better like .003%, for example, or so.
Never seen a class D amp with .003%. I'm not even sure an A/B gets down there.

https://www.ct-sounds.com/products/amplifiers/at-series/at125-2-amplifier.html

This amp will stomp any soundstream or ppi which are basically twin boards between those companies.

I put this head to head against a ppi phantom 600.2 and this amp absolutely smoked the phantom. Usually costs 229. Get it while its cheap.

Fyi phantom is way better than black ice and runs a lot pricier.

for 100, nothing will beat this amp. Absolutely nothing under 100 will come close half its performance.

https://www.ct-sounds.com/products/amplifiers/at-series/at125-2-amplifier.html
This amp will stomp any soundstream or ppi which are basically twin boards between those companies.

I put this head to head against a ppi phantom 600.2 and this amp absolutely smoked the phantom. Usually costs 229. Get it while its cheap.

Fyi phantom is way better than black ice and runs a lot pricier.

for 100, nothing will beat this amp. Absolutely nothing under 100 will come close half its performance.
Looks like a great amp for the price. It's an A/B though. Would this one be a whole lot more power hungry than a D with similar specs.? Sending most of my electrons to a HDP 1. Just don't think I'm ready for an alternator swap yet. I know I'll get there though. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I have this Soundstream amp

https://www.amazon.com/Soundstream-TN4-900D-4-Channel-Tarantula-Amplifier/dp/B009NLNY14

I love it.

I do not use the internal crossovers on the amp.

I am using an Audison bit ten D for crossover points.

I was skeptical at first but I am glad I bought the amp.

Zero problems after 2 years in my daily driver.

I am running the amp "active" The crossovers are set to bypass.

I was looking at a JL 600/4 but for the price I'm going to stick with the Soundstream TN4.900D for a little while longer.

Looks like a great amp for the price. It's an A/B though. Would this one be a whole lot more power hungry than a D with similar specs.? Sending most of my electrons to a HDP 1. Just don't think I'm ready for an alternator swap yet. I know I'll get there though. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
In this power range, class D vs a/b is not much of an issue unless you're building some micro system using a little bitty battery.

A 200w a/b's might draw 6-10A most of the time. A class D 4-8A, or somewhere in that range.

I would personally not hesitate to buy the SS. The PPI ion series (similar, if not the same inside) has had a couple dyno's and I was surprised to find they do rated power.

0.5 vs .03% THD (or any other fraction of a percent you want to hypothesize about) is not a factor unless you just like to see low numbers you'll never hear.

I have this Soundstream amphttps://www.amazon.com/Soundstream-TN4-900D-4-Channel-Tarantula-Amplifier/dp/B009NLNY14

I love it.

I do not use the internal crossovers on the amp.

I am using an Audison bit ten D for crossover points.

I was skeptical at first but I am glad I bought the amp.

Zero problems after 2 years in my daily driver.

I am running the amp "active" The crossovers are set to bypass.

I was looking at a JL 600/4 but for the price I'm going to stick with the Soundstream TN4.900D for a little while longer.
You almost answered another question I have. I been out of the game for a few decades, and I don't remember amps having built in crossovers. Heard they may be less than desirable so I'm planning on an active crossover myself. Question is, how to you bypass the amp crossovers? Do you simple turn them to their limits so there isn't filtering on the amp's part?

Never seen a class D amp with .003%. I'm not even sure an A/B gets down there.

Class D is mainly for sub amps. Class A/B is usually for other speakers.

Really tho, you don't needs class D amp to run a pair of 5.25" coaxial speakers.

Class D is mainly for sub amps. Class A/B is usually for other speakers.
Really tho, you don't needs class D amp to run a pair of 5.25" coaxial speakers.
That's not true at all

Most people will not be able to tell the difference from class A, A/B,D, G, or H

Tons of people use class D amps on their mids.

Class D for full range all day.

And it's not most can't tell the difference. It's everyone except papermaker that thinks he can. If the golden ears can't tell them papermaker has diamond ears or some ****.

Also 1% THD is perfectly fine. Nobody will hear that. Even 10% is hard to hear

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.