Soundstream tarantula????

Hybrid90accord
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Atlanta
Well I have 1 12w6v2 in a custom box vented tuned to around 32hz and I think it's on it's way out. It still sounds great but sometimes it will give knock sound with low notes and it never did that before and I think the suspension on the sub has failed and I was thinking about getting it re-coned because overall the 12w6v2 sounds awsome, But on the other hand I have a friend that can get me a new 12" tarantula for a great price, But i've never had any experience with soundstream products period. How do these 2 subs compare and would it just be better to get the w6v2 reconed or what?

I would go with a new sub because it would probally be cheaper than a JL recone. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif

they are nothing alike. the soundsteam subs (not including the exact line) are as a rule very punchy/boomy and at higher volumes will distort more than the jl. not saying they are bad but at least very different.

well i guess i'll just look into something else. Im just dont want to get sub and then be spoiled from the SQ of the w6v2 and then be disappointed. I might look into a/an eclipse sub from the ones i've heard i was kinda impressed, cause boomy bass isn't my thing, I like tight bass that can drop low but not sound like **** doing it ya know.

i like my tarantula but its only a 10" my only complaint is i wish it would hit lower. it gets pretty **** loud though //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

well i guess i'll just look into something else. Im just dont want to get sub and then be spoiled from the SQ of the w6v2 and then be disappointed. I might look into a/an eclipse sub from the ones i've heard i was kinda impressed, cause boomy bass isn't my thing, I like tight bass that can drop low but not sound like **** doing it ya know.
exacts are sweet however not as deep sounding as a w6 (unless its in a bigger box) but a very capable driver

i owned a 12" ported in a 2,27 cubic ft. box and it was loud i guess. its strictly an spl sub no clairty at all but the problem is it doesnt get THAT loud. i wasnt happy wtih this sub gettin rid of it 2 weeks after owning it. i wouldnt recommend it also i had 1,000 watts on it

I would get the W6v2 reconed (if there is anything actually wrong with it).....very very nice drivers. Recones typically aren't too expensive.

Do you have a subsonic filter? Sounds like you are just bottoming the driver out for some reason....which doesn't necessarily mean the driver is bad, just that you aren't using it properly.

I do have a sub sonic filter on my EQ, but it's been running strong for over a/an year an all of a sudden on some song even with the bass on the radio on -12, The sub will make a pop sound like something is hitting the cone. It even does it when i listen to some Jazz on xm radio.

since your looking for tight, low bass the recone might be a good idea. if you just want to change it up a bit there are a number of great drivers out there that can do that as well, most likely in a good strong sealed box. although i have never heard any re or ss or adire products many here would recommend them. myself i like the alpine type x, W6, W7, or even the Oz matrix elites.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.