Soundstream SME.650C, any good?

But here is a fact. You will never get as accurate and SQ oriented sound with inexpensive Pro/PA drivers (or even mid-priced) not gonna happen.
The fact is only a small percentage of people are actually chasing real sq...lots of people are happy with pro audio or companies wouldn't produce them

The percentage of companies putting out pro style gear, relative to SQ gear is very small, there is a reason. I guess we can just agree to disagree.

Last edited:
The percentage of companies putting out pro style gear, relative to SQ gear is very small, there is a reason. I guess we can just agree to disagree.
Only if you're counting boutique audio brands that most of the general public hasn't heard of 🤣

Not sure if you're willing, but the best way to get better sound is to change out the head unit and factory amp. This will provide the biggest change in sound quality.

I have had both pro audio and SQ speakers. Bother were high end, but not the highest. Working at high end shops and being a DJ, I was able to hear the highest end of both sides. The best sounding pro audio speakers I have heard are the Bose units. They sounded pretty freaking good, but not as good as SQ stuff. They would make better sound SQ pro audio speakers, but nobody would buy them. What would be the purpose? you can't hear much detail when your in a crowded room of people. You would also need to dump a crap ton of money on amps. The biggest part is, who would want to constantly transport a $20k+ sound system from gig to gig? Either way, if you get the chance to hear the Bose system, do so.

I would recommend Polk Audio MM series components if you are not interested in the CDT HD series components. Id recommend placing an amplifier on any chosen to gain the benefits of the performance

Not sure if you're willing, but the best way to get better sound is to change out the head unit and factory amp. This will provide the biggest change in sound quality.
I am but not at this moment since I'm on a bit of a budget I have to do a little bit at a time. I've decided to go with these, Pioneer TS-Z65C 6.5" Component Speaker System 300 Watts Max RB as suggested by (Doxquzme). What head unit an amp would you pair with these Pioneer's?

Head units are not my forte, I'm old school CD playback, DEH-80/880/99PRS old school. There are a number of folks in here with a lot more HU experience than me. I guess I'll get up to speed when my last 80-PRS dies, but that will be a while, still have another instorage and 99s are still out there!

As for 4 channel amplifiers on a budget (price being a serious consideration here), lots to choose from. I would recommend sticking to units that can utilize high level inputs, then you can wir it straight to the HU of choices.

Class A/B

$95 on amazon, here is the model on ebay

Full range class D

The recoil site is down this morning but check out their $85 4 channel full range Class D, I think it is the REA600.4?, it's a decent power unit and the price is right.

$140

$114

$125

$140

$132

$67 (cheap power, not a fan of the connector type or the crossovers, might not matter in this scenario)

Last edited:
I am but not at this moment since I'm on a bit of a budget I have to do a little bit at a time. I've decided to go with these, Pioneer TS-Z65C 6.5" Component Speaker System 300 Watts Max RB as suggested by (Doxquzme). What head unit an amp would you pair with these Pioneer's?
Personally, I like the Pioneer head units the best. More flexibility and user friendly. If your on a budget, then a new headunit might be the best option. That, alone, has shown to provide a better sound. The sound, your speakers make, are only as good as the sound that is sent to them. For cost cutting and to prevent damage to the speakers, auto manufacturers will skimp on sound quality of a radio. They will 20 speakers in a car, but they will charge you up the yang for it because people think "OOOOOH... it has 20 speakers!"

I worked in car audio from 1997 to 2013. I worked at some of the highest end shops and I worked at Best Buy. Every time a person told me they wanted amps and speakers for better sound, I always talked them down to a deck and speakers. Just make sure to run at least a 12awg constant wire from the battery to your deck. So you are aware, there is hardly any markup in a head unit. There might be a $20 markup on a $200 radio where speakers and amps have almost a 75% markup.

Here's a true story. A guy, with a H2 Hummer, came in and wanted extremely good sound. He was an audiophile. He purchased Arc Audio Robert Zeff Signature amps, Rainbow components, and a JL Audio sub. However, he refused to replace his head unit. After listening to the system, he became extremely irritated because he just spent $12k on a system and the sound was mediocre. The speakers sounded nothing like they did in the sound room. He was asking for a refund. I recommended a new radio. He refused and insisted it wouldn't make a difference. I grabed a $70 Pioneer radio, which was the cheapest Pioneer we had, and hooked it up to his system. His jaw dropped on how big of a difference it made. He ended up getting a $2k Pioneer in-dash touchscreen.

Head units are not my forte, I'm old school CD playback, DEH-80/880/99PRS old school. There are a number of folks in here with a lot more HU experience than me. I guess I'll get up to speed when my last 80-PRS dies, but that will be a while, still have another instorage and 99s are still out there!

As for 4 channel amplifiers on a budget (price being a serious consideration here), lots to choose from. I would recommend sticking to units that can utilize high level inputs, then you can wir it straight to the HU of choices.

Class A/B

$95 on amazon, here is the model on ebay

Full range class D

The recoil site is down this morning but check out their $85 4 channel full range Class D, I think it is the REA600.4?, it's a decent power unit and the price is right.

$140

$114

$125

$140

$132

$67 (cheap power, not a fan of the connector type or the crossovers, might not matter in this scenario)

Thank you for these, I like the Taramps TS 800x4 800 watts 2 Ohms Amplifier Class D 4 Channel 800W RMS, I've watched a few video's on ghem and people seem to love them. Thank you for your honesty on the HU's. You have expanded my mind with all these options I didn't know where out there.

Personally, I like the Pioneer head units the best. More flexibility and user friendly. If your on a budget, then a new headunit might be the best option. That, alone, has shown to provide a better sound. The sound, your speakers make, are only as good as the sound that is sent to them. For cost cutting and to prevent damage to the speakers, auto manufacturers will skimp on sound quality of a radio. They will 20 speakers in a car, but they will charge you up the yang for it because people think "OOOOOH... it has 20 speakers!"

I worked in car audio from 1997 to 2013. I worked at some of the highest end shops and I worked at Best Buy. Every time a person told me they wanted amps and speakers for better sound, I always talked them down to a deck and speakers. Just make sure to run at least a 12awg constant wire from the battery to your deck. So you are aware, there is hardly any markup in a head unit. There might be a $20 markup on a $200 radio where speakers and amps have almost a 75% markup.

Here's a true story. A guy, with a H2 Hummer, came in and wanted extremely good sound. He was an audiophile. He purchased Arc Audio Robert Zeff Signature amps, Rainbow components, and a JL Audio sub. However, he refused to replace his head unit. After listening to the system, he became extremely irritated because he just spent $12k on a system and the sound was mediocre. The speakers sounded nothing like they did in the sound room. He was asking for a refund. I recommended a new radio. He refused and insisted it wouldn't make a difference. I grabed a $70 Pioneer radio, which was the cheapest Pioneer we had, and hooked it up to his system. His jaw dropped on how big of a difference it made. He ended up getting a $2k Pioneer in-dash touchscreen.
Thank you, Old_Slapper, for what ever reason I've always thought that Pioneer was as I call it a Walmart brand but since beeing on this forum I've heard nothing but great things from people who abviously know much more than me. Your the 2nd person who recomends a Pioneer product. I'm seriosly concidering replacing my factory HU for a Pioneer HU, now all I have to figure out which HU to buy and how to install it, I know I'll have to do a few mods to get it to fit and sit right and look like it's always been there.

Recoil site is back up. I like their connectors and they have better corrossovers pots, Taramps can be somewhat sensative.

$85

$130

This new one is itsy bitsy!

$141

All their current amplifiers

Recoil site is back up. I like their connectors and they have better corrossovers pots, Taramps can be somewhat sensative.

$85

$130

This new one is itsy bitsy!

$141

All their current amplifiers

Your right, this one

DI550.4 Full-Range Class-D 4-Channel Car Audio Amplifier, 1,040 Watts, 2-4 Ohm Stable, Mosfet Power Supply, Bridgeable​

looks really nice, the look of it is much cleaner, it will pair nice with the

Pioneer TS-Z65C 6.5" Component Speaker System 300 Watts Max RB

Thank you, Old_Slapper, for what ever reason I've always thought that Pioneer was as I call it a Walmart brand but since beeing on this forum I've heard nothing but great things from people who abviously know much more than me. Your the 2nd person who recomends a Pioneer product. I'm seriosly concidering replacing my factory HU for a Pioneer HU, now all I have to figure out which HU to buy and how to install it, I know I'll have to do a few mods to get it to fit and sit right and look like it's always been there.
Pioneer makes products on a par with many of the best there is to offer, just not in the states anymore. Their PRS, Premier, Stage Four and Carrozzeria lines offer some really hi-end stuff, world class. Again, not the HU guy here and my understanding, of late, is that Kenwood Excelon is the go to for android/apple HU products. I'm sure pioneer has some respectable units too, and as has been stated (and the reason I stick with the old CD units with Burr Brown DAC's) everything starts with the source.

For years, pioneer promoted (more like whored out) it's products to everyone and anyone that would sell it. That has done a lot to tarnish their reputation as a hardcore car audio equipment designers and manufacturer insofar as the US domestic market is concerned. Their international stuff still rocks and wins many awards. They have a very prestigious design center in Japan that turns out some real world class stuff - except in/for the US. Their GM-D line of amps are pretty solid performers, have used many in builds and they never give me any issues. Go out to ebay and querry Pioneer carrozzeria, some really nize shiz!

I just wish they still made amps that look like this!

1704495261058.png

Beautiful to look at and to listen too.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...