soundstream rubicon amps

knightsdaze
10+ year member

Review of Amplifier: I made the mistake of purchasing 2 soundstream rubicon amps.. the 4.5 and the 2.25. both units functioned normally and adequately for a year and a half. they both "died" a couple weeks apart despite Pristine wiring, power -ground-rca's etc, and never driving the hell out of em.. now i know why i got them for a total of $335.. I guess you get what you pay for, eh? Still, the low price should reflect the overall performance level of a product, not a limited lifespan. I also have a soundstream cap that worked for a grand total of 10 minutes before the volt/amp l.e.d's stopped working. Moral of the story.. DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON SOUNDSTREAM CAR AUDIO.

interesting..... i was wondering about the new line of soundstream amps.....i say new line, referring to anything since they closed their doors about 8 years ago. and at that point, they were awesome true/under rated amps. i have 2x 1000sx amps, and a 500sx. one was damaged buy cap failure (no amp to my knowledge is impervious to cold-weather failure of electrolytic capacitor discharge failure) and the other 2 were cooked pushing excessive clipping that cooked the 2 hx2's and shorted the amps. guys i know cooked a total of 5 amps on these subs and never learned.......oh, well, i got a kicker ix960 out of the learning experience, anyway.... needless to say, i'm casting a vote toward soundstream, in response to the ending comment

Sad to hear those great SX amps got ruined. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif
actually, i still have them... just never have the time to huck 'em up on the bench and get parts ordered...... i might just drop 'em off and have someone else take care of them.

actually, i still have them... just never have the time to huck 'em up on the bench and get parts ordered...... i might just drop 'em off and have someone else take care of them.
I'd keep them if I were you...old school godness right there.

Do you have any idea what's wrong?

honestly, i don't even remember......i believe it was just in the power supply circuits (transistors and diodes) and, i thinkj i stopped when i could not track down replacements......an that was before i found mouser, so i may just try a gain someday soon. all tech info was locked out when the company shut up shop. otherwise, i'm looking at a long day of mapping and calculating the properties of each semi-conductor..... that's why i mention just dropping them off at a shop, along with other monsters i have locked in the cabinet..

well, i am a ss nuthugger, but my xxx's ran on 12v stock charging (extra batts/wire of course) and never had problems... just picked up a bunch of rubicon 2500d's and from what i've heard they should do everything I want, and probably put out more than the xxx4000d did on 12v.

I cant speak on the Rubicons but I am running 2 new reference amps and they are every bit the quality of the old school reference amps. The sq is amazing and they do every ounce of the rated specs.

Soundstream went down hill for many years, but they recently hired a new engineer who is slowly turning it back around, he started by revamping the reference series. im just not sure if he got to the lower lines yet. but still I say it was user error.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

knightsdaze

10+ year member
knightsdaze
south shore, ma
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views