Soundstream REF4.920 or PPI P900.4?

PrinceCharming
10+ year member

PrinceCharming
I need some details on both of these amps, they are made by the same manufacturer I believe. The REF seems like it would be better on SQ and has a much better crossover. The P900.4 on the other hand is class D so it's much more efficient, but doesn't have a great crossover so I don't think I'll be able to run active (which I want to) with it. I will be driving a JBL C608GTI MKII comp set.

My question is which one would be better for this? Should I get the REF and just run active or get the P900.4 and run passive until I can get an active processor?

Ok thanks. And I just looked up the price of the REF, which apparently I forgot to, and will have to try to find it used because its out of my budget. Since that is the case I might as well get some details for the MB Quart QAA2500 and the Soundstream HRU.2 because I know they are bad *** and I know where to get the QAA2500 used if its at a good price. If i dont use the P900.4 that is. Does anyone have some details/specs on these?

Personally, I'd postpone going active until you have a more advanced processing capability (set time alignment, equalization, etc). Without this processing, the only benefit you have from going active is to be able to match the level of tweeter and woofer, which is easier to do with active, but some passive crossovers have good enough settings for tweeter setup.

I'm not really setting up a "reference" quality system, i eventually want to get that loud blow your ears away surround feel, but I want the sound coming out of my speakers to be SQ quality. I'm going to expand my system to many more speakers of all kind in the future with more Amps and I'll get a much better HU. Im not going to be competing I just want a loud good sounding system. Will I be able to get that with just going passive?

I have a minty used ref4.920 with all the original items. I will throw out that it does indeed sound very good and gotta love the crossover capabilities onboard. Let me know if you are interested but I will not sell for a penny under 275 shipped.

I'm not really setting up a "reference" quality system, i eventually want to get that loud blow your ears away surround feel, but I want the sound coming out of my speakers to be SQ quality. I'm going to expand my system to many more speakers of all kind in the future with more Amps and I'll get a much better HU. Im not going to be competing I just want a loud good sounding system. Will I be able to get that with just going passive?
A lot of passive crossovers have tweeter attenuation setting. If the tweeter is peaky, you can also attenuate the high frequencies by rotating it or with equalizer. It depends on the speakers. Going active makes more sense when you have additional sound processing capability.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.