Soundproofing

gpvw t5

CarAudio.com Newbie
May 29, 2020
france
Hello All
i am a little confused about "soundproofing vehicle doors" and would appreciate advice .
Is it necessary for the entirety of the metal surfaces in the door and their accompanying metal panels to be covered in sound deadening material ?
In fact this is how i have proceeded (after following recommended advice ), but have discovered that the doors now extremely heavy!!!
I now wish to remove some of this material to lighten them
please advise
thanks

ThxOne

AudioFreak
Jun 8, 2018
Saint Marys, GA
The more you can put on a door to deaden it the better. Everything has it's drawbacks. It IS going to be heavier than normal. Got any pics of the deadened doors? It might help pinpoint less essential areas.

OP
G

gpvw t5

CarAudio.com Newbie
May 29, 2020
france
Thanks for your reply
In fact i have been the using the vehicle (vw t5) for a while ,with the doors fully covered with the sound deadened/proof material >on the inside of the outer door panel and the outside of the metal inner window mech. panel .,( which bolts on ).see images as requested .
The sound is good for a van and i believe that i have made a good job .
But i am fed up with the these heavy doors and wish to lighten them a little by removing some material .
I remember that they felt a lot flimsier before ,so there was scope to add weight .But being heavy stuff this extra weight has really compromised the opening/closing "feel" so the point where it really frustrates me !!. Anyway i hope to be able to remove material whilst retaining the sound deadening quality . ??

Attachments

blazian87

CarAudio.com Elite
10+ year member
Mar 12, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah you could remove like half and still get decent results. Just make sure to put the deadener where it counts like the flat spots instead of bends and corners.

Reactions: ThxOne

2RZ-FE

Senior VIP Member
Mar 14, 2011
Dixon, Ca
Sound deadening is to make it more dense so it doesn't flex and vibrate. You need sound proofing materials for road noise and such.

OP
G

gpvw t5

CarAudio.com Newbie
May 29, 2020
france
great thanks everyone -i have gone ahead and removed about half ( as suggested )> approx 3 kilos per door .

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Lasherž General Discussion 12

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Trending topics

Latest classifieds