Sound deadener review

just curious but no where in this thread is a testing format. seems like the only thing you are basing your review on is how good the mat sticks to a surface, not an actual way of testing dampening effect. the reason I bring this up is b/c I made something that I'd like to actually test against these products but it seems there are no definitive test that show how or what makes one better than another. I've seen points that Sound deadener showdown have made that ensure effectiveness and some of what make a product more effective. if anyone knows how to actually make a fair test for these products I'd love to put my product in that test. the difference with my product is that it would actually need to be applied with a contact cement or spray adhesive like 3M Super 77.
would take alot of work and some TL numbers.. among many other various things

would take alot of work and some TL numbers.. among many other various things
like what kind of work? I am very curious about this b/c all these sound deadener companies claim there product is the best but there is no actual test format to prove one is any better than another or how one is different from another. I'm just tired of hearing that "company A is junk b/c I don't have the tools to apply it correctly" when the truth may be that it may actually be a superior product. the only test I've ever seen is the oven test at 400˚F for whatever amount of hours, this test I find is useless b/c I've never seen any part of a car reach 400˚ except for the exhaust. I've also see the bell test, when you put a piece on a bell to show how it doesn't resonate, again another useless test b/c you can put duct tape on the bell and it'll do the same thing.

You forgot Sound Deadener Showdown and Raamat //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

How do I know if my eDead is pre-2010 (asphalt)? Seems to stick OK with a roller...

like what kind of work? I am very curious about this b/c all these sound deadener companies claim there product is the best but there is no actual test format to prove one is any better than another or how one is different from another. I'm just tired of hearing that "company A is junk b/c I don't have the tools to apply it correctly" when the truth may be that it may actually be a superior product. the only test I've ever seen is the oven test at 400˚F for whatever amount of hours, this test I find is useless b/c I've never seen any part of a car reach 400˚ except for the exhaust. I've also see the bell test, when you put a piece on a bell to show how it doesn't resonate, again another useless test b/c you can put duct tape on the bell and it'll do the same thing.

You can get sound deadener acoustically tested. I have had my deadener acoustically tested using the SAE J1637 style testing. I also have paid to get Second Skin Damp acoustically tested. I hope in the future I will be able to get several other deadeners acoustically tested since most companies do not actually get there product acoustically tested, or if they do they do not post the results they got. The problem is it is expensive to get this testing done.

i was going to say... Deadeners purpose is to change the resonating frequencies of the panels applied to.. would need to apply and be able to test the freq. Which getting the exact same amt of mat everytime would be tough.. would be easy to do rough tests but to be very very precise i doubt anyone on this forum is capable. You need a lab.. lol.. but as far as this forum goes like the guy posted.. the best way is just someone who has knowledge and has used many diff brands in many different cars and can give their educated opinion

You can get sound deadener acoustically tested. I have had my deadener acoustically tested using the SAE J1637 style testing. I also have paid to get Second Skin Damp acoustically tested. I hope in the future I will be able to get several other deadeners acoustically tested since most companies do not actually get there product acoustically tested, or if they do they do not post the results they got. The problem is it is expensive to get this testing done.
where can one go about getting one of these test? about how much does it cost? how big of a sample do they need?

where can one go about getting one of these test? about how much does it cost? how big of a sample do they need?
There are several different labs in the U.S. that do it. It can be anywhere from $600-$1000 per sample depending on where you get them done. They only need 2 or so sq ft.

There are several different labs in the U.S. that do it. It can be anywhere from $600-$1000 per sample depending on where you get them done. They only need 2 or so sq ft.
oh oh let me let me send mine in... lol.. this might as well be worthless info..no one is doing that... for 600$ you could buy ANY brand of deadener and have your **** like a rock

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

Burbarry

10+ year member
Burbarry
Burbarry
Lincoln, Ne
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies