Sony mex100bt and JL amp combo

Participant count
  • Participant list

fiddlebick

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hi, new member here and looking for advice. I don't have a lot of experience with audio setups, I'm 62 and not very tech savy, but a couple of years ago, I set my pontoon up with JL amp, JL speakers and woofer to get premium sound. I also purchased a SONY mex100bt head unit on the advice of a local retailer. It has a 100 watt amp built in... The Sony is difficult to navigate thru, especially when I allow a guest to control it, when I am in the water or not driving the boat. It took some time for me to get used to the extensive menu. I did all the install and the retailer set up the amp and head unit for me as he has competition experience in audio. Last year the Sony unit lost its mind and I had to do a factory reset and navigate the head unit amp settings myself...ok...except it has happened several more times before the summer was over. I'm not knocking the man who sold it to me and set it up at all, this thing sounds great, but my question now is...do I really need the head unit with a built in amp when I have a quality amp already? Isn't that a bit redundit? I've never touched the JL amp settings from their original settings.... I'd ask the guy myself, but Covid awareness has kept him home and out of business in the last year. I don't mind spending money for the quality I want, but if I replace this unit, why not go with a simpler, more user friendly setup? At the same time I want to get the most out of the equiptment I have, so I'm looking for whatever advice you folks have for me. Thank you.

So are the JL speakers on a separate amp from the sub or are they running off the HU.
That HU has 5 volt pre outs on it so if you do replace it make sure your next has the same or you will most likely notice the difference

I have a similar Sony head unit so I hear you about that complicated menu. Problem is almost all head units now are like that with a gajillion settings and menu options to scroll through mostly controlled by the volume knob. Really one of the only ways to get a simple bass/treble/balance/fader type menu is to go with an older non bluetooth headunit or a VERY low end model. It depends what sources/functions you need? If you don't need a CD player and tuner you could just get a pre-amp. You definitely don't need the high power built in amp. Salesman was honestly a jerk selling you that unit if he knew you were going with the JL amps. The head unit I have is functionally identical aside from the amp and 5volt outs for a lot less.

I bought a small bluetooth receiver for my parents tv that has a tuner, pre outs, aux ins, USB etc. that has NO menus and is all controlled by buttons and knobs. Very simple. Can run off 120 or 12 volts. It's not Din sized though it's like a micro home receiver. Super cheap too I think it was like 50 bucks.

So are the JL speakers on a separate amp from the sub or are they running off the HU.
That HU has 5 volt pre outs on it so if you do replace it make sure your next has the same or you will most likely notice the difference
I have the JL 700/5 marine amp. It runs the sub on one channel and speakers on the other channels. I've been researching head units and learning the value of the spec ratings. It's hard to find a head with 5v pre outs, 4v pre outs are a bit easier, but every supplier is out of stock due to covid implications with shipping and recieving products from china. I am leaning towards a Kenwood at this point.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.