Someone please expain about ohm's?

huth04

Hi, im kinda new to car audio, and im not sure on exactly about ohm's. My deck is a 4 ohm so i have to have everything else 4 ohm. Well some subs i have read about say that they have duel voice coils-does this mean 4 or 2 ohm? Someone please explain this to me.

thanx

nick

Someone else may be available to give you a better answer but I'll try. Ohms is the resistance of a speaker, if you have one 4ohm speaker the resistance is 4ohms. If you have two 4ohm speakers (or voice coils) then you would have a 2ohm load, Four 4ohm speakers, then you have a 1ohm load. Hope that helps

Originally posted by huth04 Well some subs i have read about say that they have duel voice coils-does this mean 4 or 2 ohm?
to answer you question... it depends on how the manufacturer has made the sub. they can be made in either single voice coils or dual voice coils with ohm ratings for each voice coil ranging from 1 to 12 ohms. depending on how you wire or connect two or more subs determines the resulting ohm load created.

example: wiring two SVC 4ohm subs in parallel yields a 2ohm load. but, wiring the same two SVC subs in series yields an 8ohm load.

hope this helps. if not tell us what you want to do and we will tell you how to do it!

Ok what i want to know is if i hook up a 8" L5 kicer solobaric to a JBL 600.1 amp. The sub has these specs:

power range 75-300 watts RMS (150 watts per coil)

peak power handling 600 watts

sensitivity 83.9 dB SPL

top-mount depth 4-11/16"

sealed box volume 0.33-0.75 cubic feet

25 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels

ported box volume 1.75-3.25 cubic feet

8" Dual Voice Coils

and the amps specs are:

- Output 4 Ohms: 300W x 1

- Output 2 Ohms: 600W x 1

- Signal-to-Noise (dBA): >100

- Frequency Response (±3dB): 20Hz - 500Hz

- Total Harmonic Distortion: 0.1%

- Input Sensitivity: 250mV - 4V

I just basically need to know if this setup will pound good.

ok you said that the sub has dual voice coils... what is the ohm rating for EACH voice coil. i need to know that in order to tell you how to wire the sub to that amp.

Well I saw you put 8" dual voice coil I think you meant 8 ohm dvc. Well you really need a bigger amp or a 4ohm dvc sub to get the full potenitiol but if you wire the sub parrlell all the plus and all the negitvies on the amp and bridge it this will create a 4ohm load on your amp there fore send around that 300 watts or more give or take on the amp but this should sound ok but will be underpowered alot but still sound ok if hooked up right.

I want to know if this setup will work, sound good, ect.?

Ok the sub i want to hook up is a Kicker Solobaric DVC S8L5. This sub is a 4 ohm sub

Specs:

copolymer cone

Santoprene rubber surround

frequency response 28-100 Hz

power range 75-300 watts RMS (150 watts per coil)

peak power handling 600 watts

sensitivity 83.9 dB SPL

top-mount depth 4-11/16"

sealed box volume 0.33-0.75 cubic feet

25 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels

ported box volume 1.75-3.25 cubic feet

the amp is a JBL 600.1 amp

specs:

- Output 4 Ohms: 300W x 1

- Output 2 Ohms: 600W x 1

- Signal-to-Noise (dBA): >100

- Frequency Response (±3dB): 20Hz - 500Hz

- Total Harmonic Distortion: 0.1%

- Input Sensitivity: 250mV - 4V

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.