Solid 15" with a 16 year olds budget

If you only buy from trusted, experienced members you will greatly reduce your chances of a bad experience, that's common sense..
The SA line is a good mix of a SQ and SPL sub actually. It does get pretty loud for what it is, yet it is FAR from a one hit wonder sub, it's very versatile. I have 4 of the SA-8" version and I love them. No ones trying to argue buddy I was merely stating a suggestion..

And as to JBL's DDD Drive, I've never heard of it, and I have no experience personally with the sub so I don't want to make a comment on it without having previous experience with it.
Not trying to argue either, but you talked alot of **** about Alpine and I think it's unjustified. The redesigned SWR-8's are pretty solid all the way around and very highly regarded. Jim Walter and crew went back and redesigned the SWS-15's and for the money are awesome. Something to consider is how much power is he using? Those new 15's are pretty efficient and don't need much power to get jamming. When factoring in available funds and power there are a few options that are killer. When you are younger a 1.21 gigiwatt amp and no trunk space might sound REALLY appealing, but I am not sold on it. The Sundowns are very nice... never said they were not. Again... available trunk space... available power and $ all have to be taken into consideration. Didn't mean to be condescending, but you might want to read up on shorting rings. So many here are stat nerds over the THD rating on their amps and then use high distortion woofers... seriously? I also highly recommend picking up a JBL W15GTI at some point in your car audio hobby. It's one of the best all around subs I have ever used ( sealed was great... ported was where they really shined ).

I'll be 17 this month, and was able to nab a lightly used SA-15 for my car. I got it for $180 like new. I fit it in my budget pretty well, but then again, I probably work quite a bit harder than the average 16 year old. I'd look for used Sundown - you won't be disappointed. If not, I actually think Alpine is a very good budget product.

Not trying to argue either, but you talked alot of **** about Alpine and I think it's unjustified. The redesigned SWR-8's are pretty solid all the way around and very highly regarded. Jim Walter and crew went back and redesigned the SWS-15's and for the money are awesome. Something to consider is how much power is he using? Those new 15's are pretty efficient and don't need much power to get jamming. When factoring in available funds and power there are a few options that are killer. When you are younger a 1.21 gigiwatt amp and no trunk space might sound REALLY appealing, but I am not sold on it. The Sundowns are very nice... never said they were not. Again... available trunk space... available power and $ all have to be taken into consideration. Didn't mean to be condescending, but you might want to read up on shorting rings. So many here are stat nerds over the THD rating on their amps and then use high distortion woofers... seriously? I also highly recommend picking up a JBL W15GTI at some point in your car audio hobby. It's one of the best all around subs I have ever used ( sealed was great... ported was where they really shined ).
Seen a 15GTI in action, sounded great, but I honestly liked my JL w7 better.

Ad I'm not saying alpine is a **** product all around because its not, at all, GREAT hu's and great amps, atleast the PDX series. I love my PDX 4.150, and I loved my MRP-1000 I had on my w7. I just didn't care for the subs

I didn't care for the older sub offerings from Alpine either. Again Jim and crew came up with a great 8 and the reworked SWS line-- for the money and lower amp power available are great. There are always variables in play that we forget and leave out when making suggestions. For what the kid was working with I stand by my recommendation. Being older I tend to forget that not everybody listens to music. I watch all the Dr. Subwoofer videos etc etc and after I get done laughing I can only remind myself everybody has different goals / needs.

I'm actually interested in trying one of the new type-r's as well.

For the price, the old ones were BEAST. Only a 2" coil so you couldn't put a lot of power to them, but they got loud with very little power. The new ones are a bigger coil, so that would help out in the power department.

One of my favorite budget subs for sure.

[quote name='04murdalanche']No... For one. Most everyone here, who's been here a little while has a general idea of how to ship a sub, if you're worried then spend 5 bucks extra and get insurance so that everything is taken care of anyways. 2nd of all you can get cheap *** shipping from @Boomsday ; if he has the time and is willing to help, you shipping cost for the subs ill basically be cut in half, and third of all, no sub that alpine makes, not even the type x is even comparable to the SA-15. It'll stomp all over any alpine sub all day long. I've had a few alpine subs, and I have SA8s now. Hell.. The 8s get way louder than the type E's, R's, and type X's ever did, and the alpine subs had more power too. OP you will want to go ported for sure. You have a sub for a reason, sealed is a waste of time 90% of the time unless you're solely dedicated to pure sq.[/QUOTE]

I'd have to respectfully disagree.

I did some sick nasty numbers with the old type-r's.

Not saying they are better than the SA's, but don't count them out. Haven't messed with the newer versions yet so I can't comment on those, but the old ones worked VERY well.

I'd have to respectfully disagree.
I did some sick nasty numbers with the old type-r's.

Not saying they are better than the SA's, but don't count them out. Haven't messed with the newer versions yet so I can't comment on those, but the old ones worked VERY well.
This was my point.... Those new Type R 8's are very MUSICAL and are great. Very low inductance and nice linear stroke. After the success Alpine had with the re-engineered 8's they upgraded the SWS line. For the money and the power available-- They are a solid choice.

Alpine SWR-823D / 843D 8" Subwoofers - DIYMA Car Audio Forum

7B872681-9340-420C-8289-EBD8E726CAE6-7111-0000065AE35AA23B_zpsb83144ce.jpg
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
A gift for me?!!? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

JJ30

10+ year member
JJ30
Hillsboro, OR
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from