Soldering Ring Terminals

Participant count
  • Participant list
depends on the terminal ,i use the solid copper ones and just put the flame on the terminal socket ,heat it up and fill 1/2 to 3/4 of the socket with solder then stuff the wire in the socket ,let cool and add heat shrink

depends on the terminal ,i use the solid copper ones and just put the flame on the terminal socket ,heat it up and fill 1/2 to 3/4 of the socket with solder then stuff the wire in the socket ,let cool and add heat shrink
So put solder in BEFORE the wire? Because I just royally f*cked up on my first try, gonna go buy some flux

If it's a lug, yes you'd need to fill it up with solder beforehand. If it's just a crimp style ring terminal (with open ends), make sure to put some flux on the wire before putting it through, then when you heat it and the solder up, it will run into all the strands of the wire. Flux makes it so much easier. I also use a wire brush to clean up any residue left on the end.

If it's a lug, yes you'd need to fill it up with solder beforehand. If it's just a crimp style ring terminal (with open ends), make sure to put some flux on the wire before putting it through, then when you heat it and the solder up, it will run into all the strands of the wire. Flux makes it so much easier. I also use a wire brush to clean up any residue left on the end.
They're the cheap $4 ones off sonic, they have a cut in the middle of where you put the wire...

e2 ERTC4-4 (ertc44) 4 Gauge Ring Terminals -- 4 Pack 2 Red, 2 found em.

y'all do this type of soldering with torches huh? I have a beefy soldering gun that will heat em enough, but mostly use open end terminals so I can heat the wire directly. what torches are you guys using?

Map torch works the best. But propane will work. Just takes longer to get the lug hot
The yellow benzomatic torch, right? I just can't seem to get the flame small enough to where it doesn't destroy the insulation of the cable and my heat shrink

It can be done. Heat the lug only fill with solder then install the wire when solder is still melted. Cool then apply heat shrink
I have the crimp style terminals, should I just put flux on the wire then slide it through and heat up the back of the terminal melting the solder

Flux the wire then heat the terminal on the ring side. Or you can tell me what your making ? I can sell you the wires already done , big 3 , power and ground wires ?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.