Sold my CRX, so I metered my Mazda 5 mini van instead...

CRXBMPN
5,000+ posts

Moe Bass
Maine
Had our biggest show of the year up here in northern New England and I brought out the family Mazda 5 mini van to shut some mouths up. Mission accomplished! I smoked a sub being stupid while testing last week, so I swapped to my backup and didn't even turn the amps on until it was time to compete, needless to say I went in fairly blind, except knowing roughly what frequency to burp at.

My equipment in the van consists of:

Three custom TC9 12's with Sundown and Shocker soft parts

Two Sundown NS1's burping @ .25 ohm each

Two 45ah JY Lithium & one Batcap 4000 battery

Three 6inch aeroport birch box

Roughly 44hz tuning, peaking about 48/49.

Threw the old vanity plates I had on my previous cars on the box for some neat looks...

20170724_130531_zpsasd2qcem.jpg

20170726_155002_zpsa5rzy6eo.jpg

20170730_152731_zps7kzwlh8d.jpg

received_10208034738701156_zpsufp1tg1t.jpeg

Not too bad for a mild throw together install...

Jon HISPLS, good seeing you there too. Next up, either four or five of these TC9 12's or possibly some neo action???? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

two ns1's at .25 on that electrical? you're crazy lol but i guess burps are just that, burps

but im sure that'll shut a lot of people up, even though its kinda brute forcing it haha. sounds like you had fun man

Is there a little back story to the shutting people up part? Like did someone say you couldnt break 150 without a crx?

How did voltage hold up with the second lithium?

Everyone was down 3-8 tenths this weekend so you've probably got some more in there.

All in all, a respectable score for the cone area and what those subs are. Do they play music at all? Do you even care?

You're more than welcome to borrow anything I have extra. Got that 15 I pulled out this weekend I wouldn't mind finishing off and rebuilding.

Is there a little back story to the shutting people up part? Like did someone say you couldnt break 150 without a crx?
Eh, I had kept my new build quiet and was having fun watching some of the locals on a fb group kind of go back and forth about who was going to be the loudest at this show. I ended up with that honor, even though Jon spanked us all with his wall, but he is not on facebook so he does not count :p

Everyone was down 3-8 tenths this weekend so you've probably got some more in there.

All in all, a respectable score for the cone area and what those subs are. Do they play music at all? Do you even care?

You're more than welcome to borrow anything I have extra. Got that 15 I pulled out this weekend I wouldn't mind finishing off and rebuilding.
I'd love to try two Neo 15's, that's a tad more cone area over my three 12's currently and I know those Neo's are bad mofos so I would expect a gain without much work. If I borrowed them, I'd want to build a new box to whatever specs you think they would work best with. Too bad it would be a one-and-done box as I certainly can't swing purchasing two 15s at the moment, so I'm not sure I can justify another $100 on a new enclosure.

My current box gets brutally loud with one NS1 and songs like 'da blow' by Lil John, things in that note range. It will play fairly well at lower frequencies, but I'm not a fan of the real low tuning and I can't stand that flex **** so I keep it in the 30's, 40's, and 50's for range if possible.

The lithium's in the van kept my amps out of protect, which really was my main goal. Before, I was protecting the **** out of them, so I shut everything down until the show. I was louder in my garage (153.1), even with them protecting, but like you said the meter seemed to be down so I'll take what I can get.

Always good to go and do a # that surprises people.

I beat a 4 15 wall yesterday at a db drag show and im just running 2 12s in stock class in an suv. Unusual #s in unusual cars is cool

Eh, I had kept my new build quiet and was having fun watching some of the locals on a fb group kind of go back and forth about who was going to be the loudest at this show. I ended up with that honor, even though Jon spanked us all with his wall, but he is not on facebook so he does not count :p

I'd love to try two Neo 15's, that's a tad more cone area over my three 12's currently and I know those Neo's are bad mofos so I would expect a gain without much work. If I borrowed them, I'd want to build a new box to whatever specs you think they would work best with. Too bad it would be a one-and-done box as I certainly can't swing purchasing two 15s at the moment, so I'm not sure I can justify another $100 on a new enclosure.

My current box gets brutally loud with one NS1 and songs like 'da blow' by Lil John, things in that note range. It will play fairly well at lower frequencies, but I'm not a fan of the real low tuning and I can't stand that flex **** so I keep it in the 30's, 40's, and 50's for range if possible.

The lithium's in the van kept my amps out of protect, which really was my main goal. Before, I was protecting the **** out of them, so I shut everything down until the show. I was louder in my garage (153.1), even with them protecting, but like you said the meter seemed to be down so I'll take what I can get.
I was thinking just one with the space you have. They keep gaining as you go bigger and bigger box volume. In the 6 cube you're using one would probably beat two. I figured you might have a box kicking around you could just throw another baffle on and run with.

Or if you wanted to try those two kicker amps you have and give a go at the 1.5K class that ceramic 15 would probably be very competitive. 147-148 I'd guess with a good box and some testing. I'll buy the wood and we can build it here if you can help me wrestle things around during construction. Otherwise you'll need to gain a bit to catch Tracy Johnson in no-wall and I think one of the Canadians has something stupid loud in that class.

Like I said, everyone was down at that show so I'm sure you got another tenth or four in there on a better day.

How are you "down" on a meter that is supposted to be calibrated.

Heat, cold, humidity... it all alters the reading. If its hot and humid, im as much as .6 down
And that moron pretends to be a veteran competitor.

That's why the "loud" guys use airconditioners to get ideal air conditions inside the cabin
"Loud" guys throw away the air conditioner to add more alternators.

Seriously though, mine's dead and it's not like we get enough really hot days in Maine to justify the expense of repair on an old vehicle... I am thinking about ditching it for another alt though.

****, im in the central valley in Cali. 110 degrees isnt unusual, and its 100+ all summer... and ppl still ditch ACs out here. But usually not until failure

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.