So I Took Apart My Alpine MRD M1005...need insight please!

Participant count
  • Participant list

onyxaltezza
10+ year member

Before you say I told you so, yes, I bought this amp used off Craigslist about 2 months ago. Bad idea to not test it on the spot, I know...

I didnt have a chance to throw it in til yesterday, but when I ran all the cables, etc, it powered up, digital display came on, but no power to subs. The controls all worked allowing me to 'hypothetically' adjust gains, etc, but no power at all.

The sub is a working sub, I tested it before and after this amp with a different amp.

I knew something was loose so I popped it open and put the fan back in place, one of them was kinda loose.

Tested it again and same results, no power.

Here is what I found upon closer examination, you can see the burn marks on the side, but on the board itself there is NO sign or burning or any marks at all. Please advise me on what you think the issue might be, and what I would need to replace:

6nwlf9.jpg

qrj4fo.jpg

4llo5g.jpg

21euef4.jpg

No, the dark marks on the corners of the pic below are not burn marks, it is paint from when I recoated the outside of the amp, none got onto the board. I coated it the day I got the amp, 2-3 months ago.

1zgg360.jpg

x1k3eb.jpg

bdp069.jpg

mihwg0.jpg

261eq81.jpg

What you guys think?

Thanks in advance,

-Aaron

I'm no guru but it looks like your 5-6 mosfets may have burned up or at least overheated enough to cause failure without exploding and melting their pins. (from the left) I can't tell what you are pointing to, camera flash is in the way.

Oh I wasnt actually pointing to anything, I was just holding it at an awkward angle lol. In that pic I was just trying to depict the fact that there is burn on the actual board. All dark marks are only visible on the housing...btw are MOSFETS replaceable? It looks like its the #5 one specifically. Also, as part of the supply, wouldnt the amp not power up at all if it was damaged? OR what exactly does the MOSFET system power up? Just display? Just sound? Or everything?

Thanks all.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.