smell

bigred3562
10+ year member

highland
I have a performace teknique 2000 watt mono block hooked up to two (2) 15" 1200 watt sub woofers. my only problem is when i turn up the volume after a minute or two I start to smell it. I know my amp is obviously over heating or something but my amp is not hot......so do I need to get a new amp to handle the subs or what?

sounds to me that its the subs because it starts to smell after the volume turned up. characteristic of burning vc. try turning it up while you can see the subs and amp as smell or watch for smoke. easy to see and smell if your box is ported.

ya the subs are actually pretty new but i thought they would of been broken in by now. also every time I turn it up I noticed my protection light lights up everytime my subs hit so im guessing that means my amp is up a little to high

almost every time this happens its because your gains on the amp are too high and your subs voice coil (like mentioned) is superheating and burning. if you dont turn your gains down and tune it to the appropriate level, your shits gonna blow...period.

get your hands on a DMM and do the research on what voltage you need to set it at. this will depend on the voice coil ohm configuration of your woofers. when you tune it right, it may seem slightly less loud, but itll be less distorted and you **** wont fry....

im having the same problem ..it smells then it goes into protect..i do i know what level to set my amp them amp i have is a little bigger than this one 3000 w i.. the subs are 12 dvc 4 ohm wired to 1 ohm

the amp is 2000w max mono block. the subs are 4 ohm dual voice coil 1200w max. what else did u need?
how are the subs wired ? at 1ohm for the set? what is the rms rating of the subs and amp if you know? peak does not help. is that amp 1 ohm stable? model numbers will help if you dont know these specs.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.