Small vintage car, stealth build 6.5" sub or 8" sub? Or???

Participant count
  • Participant list

newport2002
10+ year member

Not too many options for this car, so I am having a box made to fit under the rear seat that still allow full functionality. Problem is the space is very limited and the box size is .15 cubic feet. Its designed for the JL Audio 6w3v3-4 subwoofer. Im concerned it will be loud enough considering there is no AC and the wind noise at 80 mph with windows and sunroof open is pretty loud.

Whats in the car now is a Nakamichi head unit, Hertz HSK 165 components up front and a Soundstream TN950 5 channel amp. Everything sounds great up front, just lacks low end in general...

Option a:

Sealed box with .15 cu ft of air and a JL Audio 6.5" Subwoofer. The sub is designed for that amount of space. 150 watts RMS. My amp puts out about 200 so I'd turn down the gain a bit.

Option b:

Same sealed box with a JL Audio 8" Subwoofer. The sub wants a minimum .3 cu ft. of space but can take 250 watts RMS so I could use all the power of the amp, but in a box with half the space it wants....

I am not looking for super loud, but this is in a 70s BMW and I want to be able to enjoy the music with the windows open ant highway speeds.

Here are pics of the car and the sub enclosure.

picture-2.jpg

92ab233b.jpg

5e776eda.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.