small mp3 amp for muscle car resto

Participant count
  • Participant list

eman245

Hey Everyone, brand new to the forum, and have a quick question about an amp to use in my car. I'm doing a frame of restoration on a '69 Chevelle, and am working on the music situation now. I'm thinking that a small mp3 amp would work well because I don't really care about having fm radio, a feed from my ipod would be just fine. Also, these little things are very hideable and I don't want a visible head unit anywhere. Also trying to save money at this point in the project, so I don't intend to build a killer system, just something that will play decently and play above this loud *** motor that i'm going to have.

Currently I have 2 older speakers that I'm going to use, they are 105W 4ohm. The amp that I was thinking about buying is this Mitzu (supposedly 500w peak) with 2 channel output: 2CH 500W Power Motorcycle Audio Car ATV Scooter Golf Cart Amplifier MP3 Amp Red | eBay

Hopefully that link works, if not just do a search Mitzu mp3 motorcycle amp, you'll find it. I'm just wondering if that amp is decent for my application, if its going to play something decent. Reviews are few and far between. Thanks for your help guys

You can get a much better quality amplifier and use 3.5 mm to RCA adapter cable, and even add an in-line knob (Axxess AALC is an example) so you can adjust the volume. There are many good value buys for small 2-channel amplifiers. I have a few options in stock.

thanks for the reply Trumpet, why do you believe that this amp would be unsatisfactory? Simply the name brand of the amplifier? What can you recommend as a better name brand, or what characteristics should I be looking for in an amplifier for these speakers?

The name is not as relevant as the products used in building the amp, the quality of the build, and the warranty available after your purchase. As Trumpet said, you can use many amplifiers in your system. As you mention being budget minded right now, I can recommend a few of our amplifiers for you:

Ground Zero GZTA 2155X

This amp would allow you to run 4 speakers if you decide to add something to the rear deck

Ground Zero GZRA 4.100G

One thing to remember when looking at electronics, there is such a wide range of products available to the manufacturer. Some use the least expensive parts so they can offer the least expensive option, others use nothing but the highest grade available and charge a premium. Generally speaking, but not always true, you get what you pay for.

thanks for the reply Trumpet, why do you believe that this amp would be unsatisfactory? Simply the name brand of the amplifier? What can you recommend as a better name brand, or what characteristics should I be looking for in an amplifier for these speakers?
One of the small 2-channel amplifiers we have looks similar to the Mitzu amplifier you linked, except it's rated for 20W x 2. It's a Lepai LP-2020+. It's the bare minimum I could recommend for your application, but I would not advise it for anything but light duty use. I have other options that aren't much larger that would easily make 4x as much power because they have more parts inside to create that power at low distortion.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.