Small headunit / preamp / radio tuner

Participant count
  • Participant list

flightline

I have an '86 Porsche 951 that I need some help figuring out what to do with. Currently it has a long-obsolete kenwood headunit that I'm going to be getting rid of. Here's where I'm probably going to be going along a different tack than most here: I wasn't really planning on replacing it with anything. I need the space where the radio is for two additional gauges, and the car is so loud that music wouldn't really be all that great anyway. I figured I could take out the speakers and headunit and save a few pounds in the process. But now I'm thinking I want to retain at least a little of the original functionality.

Here's where I don't really know what to even search for. The kind of system I'm envisioning would be a small amp in the back, and a small section on the gauge panel for an on/off switch, volume knob, input jack, and possibly, a radio tuner. The space on the panel needs to be really, really tiny, maybe 4 in^2 maximum. I'm comfortable working with electronics, if not audio equipment specifically, and think I could put together the "black box" myself, but I have no idea if something like this already exists. To be clear, I'm really not looking for an audiophile quality system, just a way to plug in an ipod or listen to talk radio on a long drive. Could spend a few hundred bucks on this but would prefer to spend more time than money.

I might be willing to put a headunit in the glove box if I could build a 'wired remote' into the gauge panel for on/off, volume, and radio presets. I don't suppose that most headunits have remote jack pinouts that lend themselves to using simple switches and potentiometers?

Thanks to anyone who can point me in the right direction from here.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.