Small excursion noise at like 2 Hz - normal?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Heeltoeclutch
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
So I've had my DCON in for a few weeks now and it probly has like 5 hrs of playtime since school's commute is like 2 min. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif Today I did some checking out to make sure everything is peachy and I played a bunch of different songs through it. This might be a sthilly question but humor me -

In Bass I Love You, there is a weird note that is barely audible but is like 5 Hz or something ridiculous and makes teh subs EXCURT like crazy (but not violently); I'm sure someone knows what note I am speaking of. When the sub plays this note there is what appears to be a bit of an excursion noise (it could be the objects next to the port, but I tried to stop them rattling the best I could). I have babied the thing; has only seen TLC since I got it. The box is tuned to 32 Hz. I'm only giving it like half its RMS and I have no subsonic filter available. I am wondering - is it normal to hear a slight bit of noise at this low of a frequency? It is absolutely perfect at all other frequencies, no audible noise at all except teh bass.

Thanks guys //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

You can run into some issues below tuning. Excursion values go up drastically. There is only a certain distance to travel before the mechanical limits are reached. You may be surpassing them. I would suggest a subsonic filter. If your amp does not provide one, you can find in-line versions. I'll look up the link tomorrow if you PM me to remind me.

Alrighty thanks guys - yep old 92'ish US Amps did not furnish such a thing. I don't want the super low notes to go away... what would you suggest setting it at? It hits the low to mid 20s with significant authority surprisingly.

Alrighty thanks guys - yep old 92'ish US Amps did not furnish such a thing. I don't want the super low notes to go away... what would you suggest setting it at? It hits the low to mid 20s with significant authority surprisingly.
You don't have to tell me. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

As far as setting it, you can experiment with it. The important part is keeping the driver from hitting its mechanical limit. The other bonus is not having to waste energy reproducing unusable signal.

Yays. When you say in-line, is it in-line with the RCAs or the speaker wire?

And am I correct in thinking that it reaches the mechanical limits more easily at lower frequencies because it is not compressing the air behind it quickly enough to generate enough of a "cushion" before that air escapes through the port?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.