Sketchup PICS INSIDE!!! will this box design work (port in question)

Participant count
  • Participant list

hoxie08
5,000+ posts

i <3 drugs
box2.jpg

box1.jpg

box4.jpg

box3.jpg

So...I know i'll make it probably 6+ inches longer to make the 1.125 cubic foot requirement, however, all I'm curious about now is the port design...will it work? I'll be puttin a 10w3v2 D4 sub in it, and according to JL's website blah blah well the port is the right dimensions, just not sure if its okay for it to do a 180 degree bend like this...

depending on enclosure dimensions it seems as if pvc or maybe prescision ports would better suit this particular design for ease of construction as well as helping to meet your space requirements

The interior end of the port needs to open far enough away from the wall that the wall itself does not create its own porting effect. From that sketch, it looks liek a possible issue.

The interior end of the port needs to open far enough away from the wall that the wall itself does not create its own porting effect. From that sketch, it looks liek a possible issue.
Yeah. I got that worked on I think. I started building this yesterday, mostly done just basically gotta put in the port. What I did was extend this 5 inches on the side of the port, drop the top from 17 to 16 inches (makes it less visible behind my seat) and had the port come into the interior 14 inches, then curve back around 10 inches. I'm pretty sure it'll work well like that. (I also put the port lower in the box so it would have more space for the air, and the box walls would act less like an extension of the port.)

(I also put the port lower in the box so it would have more space for the air, and the box walls would act less like an extension of the port.)
Reducing the port height will not reduce port end correction. It is the nature of slot ports, and can not be corrected by adjusting dimensions.

So you have 4" from the port opening to the enclosure wall...

What are your port dimensions?

depending on enclosure dimensions it seems as if pvc or maybe prescision ports would better suit this particular design for ease of construction as well as helping to meet your space requirements
x2 i agree

btw what in the dickens are you trying to tune that to? from the pics it looks like to have a fairly small area and a really long length

x2 i agree

btw what in the dickens are you trying to tune that to? from the pics it looks like to have a fairly small area and a really long length
Well it is being built according to jl's website (volume wise, 1.125 ft^3) to tune it to ~34 hz. The port is 10.5" x 1.25" x 24.8".

Well building is almost complete so im just hoping for the best. If it doesnt work well then I'll just use my existing sealed box or i'll redo calculations according to what, if anything, goes wrong and try it again //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Reducing the port height will not reduce port end correction. It is the nature of slot ports, and can not be corrected by adjusting dimensions.
So you have 4" from the port opening to the enclosure wall...

What are your port dimensions?
I'm not reducing the port heigth, just making the port sit lower in the box, since the box has a slanted front, if the port is set higher in the box, there will be less room in between the opening of the port, and the front panel....if its lower there will be a few inches still for an opending and that should work out better.

Well, to any who may have doubted...sorry, but the box WORKS!! And it sounds absolutely perfect //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

First song played: Late night tip...louder than I expected!

I love it!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.