Skar 1200 monoblock amp going into protect mode

Participant count
  • Participant list

Boyo79

CarAudio.com Newbie
I have 2 -12" skar woofers with 1200 watt monoblock amplifier .,after playing music for 10-15 mins amp goes in to protect mode..when wiring subs for a 1ohm load .do I have to use all 4 speaker terminals at the mono amp or do I just connect both positives and both negatives from both speakers and go to just 1 positive and negative on the amp?

Just use the one positive and one negative. Also those Skarbage RP amplifiers are known to be junk and go boom at any second. Very common with them to do that.
Ok I had a local radio shop wire up everything and after about 15 mins of playing amp when in protection mode ..he had the speakers wired for 1 ohm .but at the amp he used both positives and negatives on the monoblock amp..so I should connect both speakers together and use just one positive and negative at the amp correct?

Ok I had a local radio shop wire up everything and after about 15 mins of playing amp when in protection mode ..he had the speakers wired for 1 ohm .but at the amp he used both positives and negatives on the monoblock amp..so I should connect both speakers together and use just one positive and negative at the amp correct?
What size gauge is your speaker/sub wire? Mono amps normally have 2 positives and 2 negatives for convenience of installation. If you have very thick speaker wire, having 2 sets of terminals allows for you to use one set of wires per terminal. Say if you have 10 gauge wire, it will be easier to insert one wire per terminal vs trying to fit 2 wires into the same terminal. But, if your sub wires aren’t that thick, you can insert both positives into one terminal and both negatives into one negative terminal . It’s the same either way. Your choice.

Like Ridinhi said, it really doesn't matter. On a mono block amp they are combined inside the amp anyways. They just add the two sets for ease of installation. If you bought the amp from Skar, contact them. I have never had a problem returning one. If its within a certain time frame they will send you a new one with a RA# to return the old one. So you can just swap them out.

I have installed over 20 of the RP series amps and only had one failure. Not a bad failure rate, IMO. When I have a youngster just starting out that is on a limited budget, Skar is one of my go to. Its inexpensive, and I have had nothing but great customer service from them.

I have installed over 20 of the RP series amps and only had one failure. Not a bad failure rate, IMO. When I have a youngster just starting out that is on a limited budget, Skar is one of my go to. Its inexpensive, and I have had nothing but great customer service from them.
I’ve no issues with mine thus far.

Like Ridinhi said, it really doesn't matter. On a mono block amp they are combined inside the amp anyways. They just add the two sets for ease of installation. If you bought the amp from Skar, contact them. I have never had a problem returning one. If its within a certain time frame they will send you a new one with a RA# to return the old one. So you can just swap them out.
So is it fine to combine both speakers at the amp only using one of each terminal

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...