Single 1508 versus a pair of Type R 8s

gunz4me2
10+ year member

Bat Country
Louisiana
My latest vehicle of the moment is a 2012 WRX, and at first all was all content with installing the 1508 that I currently own in the car, and going on with life. Then I started thinking, a pair of the Alpine Type R 8s will fit in approximately the same air space, so why not run a pair of those over a single 1508. Of course, I'm thinking I only want to do this because I don't own any of the Type R 8s, lol.

Keeping in mind that I am trying not to take up too much trunk space or add too much weight, which would you do and why? The amplifier choice is currently up in the air, but I am thinking another HD 900/5 if I go with the single 1508 or the MMATS HiFi 6150D if I go with a pair of the Type R 8s.

I think you should get the Type R 8's just to give us a review. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/thumbsup.gif.3287b36ca96645a13a43aff531f37f02.gif

But in all seriousness, if they will seriously sound as good using an enclosure the same size, then I would try it. The weight difference will be negligable unless you're cutting weight for a purpose built race car, which shouldn't have a head unit, speakers, amps, etc. anyway.

When I talk about weight, I just don't want the car leaning to the back from an enclosure built for a pair of 18s or something like that. My main objective is to have some usable trunk space along with the subwoofer(s) because I need to be able to bring things like a couple of file cases, document scanner, and laptop bag with me on jobs. Also, I want to do a direct fire setup through the passthru, so I am kind of limited to 8" or 10" subwoofers.

Come to think about it, I also have a Digital Designs 510 on hand that I could try in the "compact" enclosure. I'd more than likely run the 1508 in 1 cubic foot net tuned to 35 Hz, the 510 in 1.25 cubic feet net, tuned to the same frequency, or the pair of Type R 8s in 1.3 cubic feet net tuned to 33 Hz. Maybe I should just use what I have first instead of buying more gear, lol. Then again, part of the fun is wanting stuff that I don't have.

The new type R's are a very good driver.. The SQ all things equal will be much better with the two type R's vs the one DD.. Lots of good reviews on a few other forums SQ wise about them. SPl should be close, with the R's being louder over a larger range although I'm sure the DD's would meter better at a smaller group of frequencies at peak. If you already have the DD thoughh I'd try it first.

Haven't heard much about the Type R 8s, be sure to build thread and review if you go that way!On another note, how do you like the 2012 WRX?
I love the WRX, especially compared to my 2006 Mustang GT. I don't know how to explain it, but the AWD platform with grip under just about any circumstance really rocks. It also has functional space with easy access to the rear seats and a decent amount of usable trunk space which is coming in handy as my new venture as a mobile Certified Public Accountant. IMHO the bang for the buck features of the WRX were hard to beat compared to more expensive vehicles, it gets me from point a to point b, and it can be fun if I want it to be. While all the luxury features and gadgets in the more expensive vehicles are nice, they are just one more thing to cause headaches down the line.

From a sound system perspective, it's not the ultimate SQ vehicle, but my objective is just to have something better than stock that can give me a little bass. I decided that I'm just building up home and office systems with near-field monitors for my SQ and imaging because they are way easier to pull off than a car anyhow. I wonder how the IRS will feel about some Dynaudio nearfield monitors as my "computer" speakers? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif I want to try those KRK RP10-3 mid-field monitors too, so I guess I have my home office and office covered.

Ray at Audio Innovations was very underwhelmed with the type r 8s. I respect his opinion more then about 99.9% of people.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.