Simplicity

Squatch

I am in the market for a simple, but sufficient head unit to replace my stock setup. To clarify simplicity, no touchscreens, dvd players, crazy animations, or thousands of little buttons. My current vehicle is a 98 Dodge Stratus ES with a 2.5 L 6G73. I am hoping to stay withing my budget of $150, but can be flexible. It's a fairly small car, so power doesn't have to be too high, however a little extra never hurts. Various music types that I listen to are dubstep, tech house, blues, rockabilly, and a few others.

I hope that I provided enough information, if I haven't, feel free to have me clarify. Thanks!

Well a headunit, no matter how nice you get, even if you spend a grand, isnt going to have more than 20ish rms to your speakers. So you will never be getting loud clean music from a head unit.

The fact that you have a small car doesnt really make a whole lot of difference unless your trying to get really really loud.

Shop Single-DIN Car Stereos & Receivers at Sonic Electronix

Look at Pioneer, kenwood, alpine, and clarion. Everything else on there for Head units is trash.

Well i can tell you that you dont need a spare battery for one. You'll only need a battery when you start hitting like 2-3000 watts.

So heres the thing. When you get a dedicated subwoofer. It tends to be way louder than your stock speakers can do and it drowns out your music. Just ruins things all around.

So your gonna want to get speakers FIRST then get a subwoofer.

Question before i go any farther. Are you doing this yourself or paying a shop?

to answer your question simply.if you want to run passive speakers. youll want 2 sets of rca preouts. if you want to run active. Youll want 3 sets of rca pre outs

as for what youll need for your sub. youll need an amp kit to install your amp, and some 10-12 gauge speaker wire to run from your amp to subwoofer, and a a box specifically made for your subwoofer. if you throw a nice 8' woofer into a pre fab box you buy at astore. your gonna hate life. itll sound terrible

Self install. Also, I'm glad that someone understands the issue of a system that is way too bass heavy, I want to enjoy my music with some rumble, not set off car alarms while shaking random bolts loose.

an 8 inch subwoofer is not going to overpower the stock speakers unless its a crazy competition sub. Get a basic double din screenless head unit for easy usability. Maybe a micro amp for the door speakers(they can actually take a lot more power once you put a high pass filter on them with the new head unit) Then add the sub and a small monoblock.

Self install. Also, I'm glad that someone understands the issue of a system that is way too bass heavy, I want to enjoy my music with some rumble, not set off car alarms while shaking random bolts loose.
Lol.. Mine and most people's systems on here are way too bass heavy but we all have the front stage speakers that can keep up.

Get a headunit with a 3 sets of rca outs. just incase you want to upgrade later into component speakers and run active.

Thank you! I'm on Newegg looking for a unit, any problems with a refurbished unit?? I'm trying to save as much as I can.
Thats a definite no on newegg. Good for pc, NOT CAR AUDIO

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_91058_Pioneer-FH-X820BS.html

Good thing about sonic or crutchfield, as long as you specify your vehicle model, they give you a dash kit and wiring harness free for your specific vehicle. Its more money efficient then buying unreliable warranty junk off amazon or newegg.

I highly advise upgrading your front stage first and then doing your sub but thats your own choice. If this is going to be a full project for you. Make a build log and take lots of pictures ://content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

That is the plan my friend, I'm starting with the Head unit, then the front speakers. After this will be the deck speakers, and then the sub and battery relocation (my battery is in tucked in an absolutely stupid place). After this, I will be cutting into the rear doors to add two more speakers, so expect a full write up on this build and remember I'm going for quality sound, not quantity of db. When I get to subs and amps, I'm going to remove my spare tire cover, upholster and utilize the space for a sealed sub enclosure, and to hide the wiring. The final step will be insulating the interior to keep sound in, and get more out of my smaller system.

That is the plan my friend, I'm starting with the Head unit, then the front speakers. After this will be the deck speakers, and then the sub and battery relocation (my battery is in tucked in an absolutely stupid place). After this, I will be cutting into the rear doors to add two more speakers, so expect a full write up on this build and remember I'm going for quality sound, not quantity of db. When I get to subs and amps, I'm going to remove my spare tire cover, upholster and utilize the space for a sealed sub enclosure, and to hide the wiring. The final step will be insulating the interior to keep sound in, and get more out of my smaller system.
Have you ever heard a SQ system? I promise you. All you need is one set of component speakers on good power and they will be as loud and clear as you ever want them to be. You really dont need another set of speakers. Even the back deck speakers are disconnected and not used by people on here. It pulls the sound stage behind you and its wasted money. The only time people run more than one set of speakers is when they are trying to get loud because more cone area means more sound but usually less clarity because of interference of sound waves and the like.

If your going to put this much time and money and effort into it. I think you should start reading up on component speakers and how to run them active.

Do you have any idea what your budget is for the entire project? We can help you put together a list of what you should get on your budget.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Squatch

Squatch
Northern Minnesota
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
keep_hope_alive