Signs a clutch is going to go...

LoudCrownVic
5,000+ posts

1/1 of Team Team Team
What are the major signs that a clutch is going to fail?

Mine seems to have erratic engagement (when moving from stopped or when switching gears) and often howls/chirps upon the last second of engagement. Just wondering, it works but I'm just wondering if there are signs of death and I shold set aside the money for it's failure.

108k I would suspect the clutch is starting to go depending on wether or not it was ridden or not and the skill of the driver. The clutch took a lot of ware if it was used as a DD by someone who was learning. It may have also taken a beating if you did much stop and go towing. Especially with a 2.5l that doesnt have the torque to get moving from a stop if you had a heavy load.

Clutches arent that expensive if you do the work yourself. $150-$200 at the most for Rangers. That includes new friction disks and throw out bearing. May as well do it before it goes out and you HAVE to replace it. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

with 108k i would replace it soon. my explorer went out at 95k. i bought it at 43k and i never towed and it wasn't my learning car. i couldn't even tell it was going out, then one day a chunk broke off and shredded the clutch and some gears on the tranny. much more expensive than just a clutch replacement and i had no idea it was coming. maybe thats why i switched to a foreign car...

yeah do the clutch. mine blew up playin around on the freeway and it was not fun.. it seemed like it was not the best. but i didnt think it was bad enough to were it was gonna go out.

yeah do the clutch. mine blew up playin around on the freeway and it was not fun.. it seemed like it was not the best. but i didnt think it was bad enough to were it was gonna go out.
haha yep, mine went out while i was on the way up a hill.. i started to roll backwards, while in gear. lol luckily no one was behind me..

Ouch. Well, I assume the clutch is on it's way out... I am not easy on clutches, and mine is gratually getting squirrely.

Probably hit up the timing belt/water pump job too while I'm at it...

It can never hurt. Go ahead and give the tranny and rear end new fluids and grease the chassis too if you have the money.
That's not expensive... LOL, grease is like $5 a tube, if that. I already changed the tranny fluid. The rear end fluid, eh, we'll see.

Which chassis do I grease? Like the suspension A arms, tie rod ends etc that have grease gun recievers, or the body mounts? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif I grease all the suspension every oil change... Just checking if there was a chassis I wasn't greasing that needed to be greased.

That stuff isn't difficult or expensive... The timing belt and the water pump + the clutch, throwout bearing etc probably IS going to be expensive and difficult... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.