Signal Issues & more fun stuff

T.I.K.
10+ year member

F*ck it, we'll do it live
Michigan
So here's the deal, When i got my first system installed at best buy, they ran my RCA's and remote wire, and I've just been using those same wires, and I've been having issues, even will my subsonic filter all the way down, when songs drop below 35 hz, by sub, instead of moving MORE, begins to move less and less, resulting in almost no bass at anything below 35hz.

There is a stock 8" subwoofer in the car that doesn't have this problem, at all, so I was looking at my receipt from best buy for the installation, and I noticed they put a 30 dollar LOC in there. So I'm wondering if maybe the cheap LOC could be messing with my RCA signal to my amp?

Also, I've noticed I have HUGE voltage drop on bass notes 50hz and above, or around there, I'll go from 14.4v to mid 12's. But on lower notes, I have almost zero voltage drop. It might also be worth noting that on higher notes on low volume, the sub makes a god awful noise, like a kinda scraping noise. I suspect it is the voice coil rubbing the gap or something, but I can't be sure.

WTF IS GOING ON?

What's the crossover setting on the amp? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

if a LOC was used and you're having not low frequencies, your factory head unit is probably cutting them out. also it would depend on where the LOC was tapped. chances are it was tapped at the rear speaker and not at the factory sub.

Is it possible your box isn't tuned to play below 35hz? As for the voltage drop, it might be the fact that your speaker isn't as efficient at the lower range thus requiring more power to drive it. This would also take us back to the box if it's not a sealed enclosure.

if a LOC was used and you're having not low frequencies, your factory head unit is probably cutting them out. also it would depend on where the LOC was tapped. chances are it was tapped at the rear speaker and not at the factory sub.
That would make sense, it's ford's "premium" sound system, so it probably has a high pass filter for the speakers, good stuff.

Is it possible your box isn't tuned to play below 35hz? As for the voltage drop, it might be the fact that your speaker isn't as efficient at the lower range thus requiring more power to drive it. This would also take us back to the box if it's not a sealed enclosure.
Also, just for clarity, voltage is dropping at higher notes, not lower notes, voltage doesn't go below 14 at anything 45hz and below

what enclosure are your running op?

The box is 6.25 ft3 tuned to 35 hz, but it shouldn't have any problem getting into the high 20's/lower 30's. It's an AQ HDC3 18"

How much power are you running? Is your electrical stock? You would see voltage drop due to a poor electrical system. If your system isn't hitting very well on the lower frequencies, then you wouldn't see a voltage drop for those because your amp is putting out enough of a signal, but if it's hitting well on the frequencies where you see the voltage drop then you need to do some electrical upgrades.

How much power are you running? Is your electrical stock? You would see voltage drop due to a poor electrical system. If your system isn't hitting very well on the lower frequencies, then you wouldn't see a voltage drop for those because your amp is putting out enough of a signal, but if it's hitting well on the frequencies where you see the voltage drop then you need to do some electrical upgrades.
IT'S 1500w, but it's doing exactly opposite of what it should be doing, voltage is supposed to drop at lower freq's, however my system is dropping at higher frews.

I have LOC too in my BMW.... I tapped them into my rear woofers, and drop easy to 15 hz (tuned below 28 ftw?). To start, I'd change the LOC to the subwoofer location.

What amp? How did you tune it?

Is your electrical stock? And what car is it in? With 1500 watts you should have some electrical upgrades...
I'm not an idiot, i'm not going to run 1500w off of stock electrical, I'm not looking for you to tell me what to buy or what's wrong with my electrical, I have a 130a alt, so even if my amp was pushing a full 1500w it wouldn't consume 130 amps.

I have LOC too in my BMW.... I tapped them into my rear woofers, and drop easy to 15 hz (tuned below 28 ftw?). To start, I'd change the LOC to the subwoofer location. What amp? How did you tune it?
I'd have to pull my HU out to be sure that it's actually on my rear speakers, as far as I can tell all there is is a front and rear RCA channels, because there is no subwoofer control stock on the HU. What I'm thinking about doing it taking the factory amp and hooking it's RCA's up to my amp and play a 20hz note and see what happens. I've been meaning to take that shi tty stock sub out anyway, it makes a horrible rattling noise, like it's bottoming out or something.

its and ONYX1500 sub sonic is set on what i assume to be 25hz, and the LPF is set to like 75 hz, may be lower. Gains are tuned by ear, and bass boost is off.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.