Shorting Rings - Why do we use them ?

And...this is why we love Sundown subs haha
Any other well-known car audio companies utilize this technology in their subs? What are some good examples?
There are not all that many dedicated car audio drivers using shorting rings. You can find many that are more home oriented drivers that are used in car that have them (TC Sounds, Acoustic Elegance, Dayton Reference, etc) as typically these customers are a bit less price sensitive. With that being said; a large driving force for the lack of shorting rings is cost as I had mentioned earlier... for example; the SA-10/12/15 shorting rings cost about as much as the entire T-Yolk of the driver (pole / back plate).

DD is using a pole cap ring with the SC option, though -- which is superior to no ring at all but not as effective as a magnet ID ring.

Alpine uses them as well; the Type-R has a unique one-piece basket / magnet ID shorting ring design (magnets are split and the frame comes in to the magnet ID to create a shorting ring / heat-sink assembly). This design helps to drive down the cost per unit a bit as it's just one piece rather than inserting a separate machined piece into the motor. Very cool and I think patented design.

Many of the TC built subs use shorting rings of some sort (including tc9, 3hp, and '05 shocker Sig and neo sig that I know for sure). Not sure about LMS based drivers.
The 5400 does use shorting rings.. The LMS coil is very big and heavy due to the inherent design, so a shorting ring is really a must.

So "Supercharging" is just a shorting ring? I was kind of curious as to what that actually meant but have found little info on the matter.
It is a pole cap ring AND a small Neo slug on top of the pole... it goes pole / neo slug / aluminum cap on top.

It is a pole cap ring AND a small Neo slug on top of the pole... it goes pole / neo slug / aluminum cap on top.
That is consistant with the speculation I've seen. Thank you, Jacob, you are a gentleman and a scholar.

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

sundownz

Pro Seller
Supporting Vendor
sundownz
North Carolina
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date