Shop screwed me and ruined my amp!

An update: WoofersEtc sent me an RMA number since its still under the 1 year warranty. Guess there is no point in opening it up and taking a look at those RC ports now. I think I'm going to ebay the Rockford prime that they send me, and get a Zapco. Higher quality made in the USA baby! Instead of freakin' china.

If you want to spend the money on the Zapco that's cool but I can assure you that unless the Prime you got from Woofers was a refurb then there really is no need to run another amp. That Prime is a great value amp that does it's job very well....just my 2cents..

Yes sir, ^I agree as well. I have same exact amp on my components. And so does 2 of my friends. They rock out hard at more than rated and are solid amps. In your circumstance it must just be random equipment failure... However there are so many unknowns in this post that it could be many other things as well. Good luck man, sorry that happened.

I've been reading up, and have called a few local Dallas/Fort worth shops. A few of them have said they're going to stop selling the prime amps due to failures being too common. Honestly I don't feel like I can trust them anymore. Maybe I'd get a good one, but I really don't feel like installing that amp any more times than I have to. Or even taking the gamble. I think that Rockford has lost my business for good, just like Kenwood has. I like to be sure I'm getting a quality part, and not just rolling the dice. I hear people complaining about rockford, but notice you don't hear many people complaining about Soundstream or Zapco. Of if you do its few and far between, not shops saying they're ditching the line altogether.

Sounds like the tech at the shop found that the RCA connectors inside the amp had a broken or cold solder joint and that when pressure was applied to the jacks, the noise went away.

If that happened in my shop, my course of action would be to tell the customer that there was an internal problem with the amp and that I could not fix it properly without opening the amp up and inspecting the board. Likewise, I would recommend that he pursue warranty service from wherever the amp was purchased.

Since the tech decided to zip tie already damaged RCA connectors that leads me to believe one of two things... either he didn't want to confront the customer with the equipment failure (for a variety of reasons) or, he's the one who broke the solder joint when he installed it and because of that, he didn't want anyone to know about his mistake.

Either way, I wouldn't keep that installer on staff. And either way... it's the shop's fault at this point because they did not advise their customer of the failure when the correct thing to do if they truly weren't responsible for the damage would be to do just that.

I think that Rockford has lost my business for good, just like Kenwood has.
Both Rockford and Kenwood still make top quality product, so long as you're not getting refurbs you shouldn't have any issues, hell I'm running a XR-1s in my wife's truck now and it's been in there almost a year under the front seat with ZERO issue and guess what....it IS a refurb..

I hear people complaining about rockford, but notice you don't hear many people complaining about Soundstream or Zapco. Of if you do its few and far between,
Ok lets call it for what it is, you hear people complaining bout Rockford for one reason...PRICE...they complain that it's too high compared to other net favorites and as far as Soundstream goes seeing as how you brought up the Rubicon line, well due to the fact that we've had such a HIGH failure rate with them, we've dropped the Rubicon line all together. The Picaso and higher lines have been incredible amps for us and we're keeping them.

not shops saying they're ditching the line altogether.
Shops are ditching Rockford because the product has become whored out online and customers are able to in most cases buy it online cheaper than it costs the shop to get it. The only reason we're still keeping the line is because we're one of the oldest Rockford dealers and simply because of it's name and a few people still want only Rockford. We don't stock very much of the product though seeing as how we can have it the next day in most cases.

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand what you're saying and all, but that's just not my experience. I had a higher end kenwood headunit die 5 days out of warranty, and a kenwood monoblock amp for my subs die about a year out of warranty. I may be new but I everything was set up right on both. No overheating, proper mounting, etc. They just died. So kenwood won't be getting my business again. Same with Rockford I guess. Same reason some people won't buy Dodge, Ford, Chevy, whatever.

As for the shops that wasn't the response I got during my research. They specifically cited failure rates. If these companies are too lazy or cheap to do some quality control I'll just take my business elsewhere. There are plenty to choose from.

Another thing I'm starting to see the more I read the various car audio forums, is that all the big name brands really aren't as big as they used to be. Probably for good reason. For example when you ask about the best shallow mount sub, no one directs you to JL's tw5. They tell you to go with Stereo Integrity. And it isn't rockford who's making the best bang for the buck subs anymore, its Sundown Audio. I'm beginning to think that all those 80's and 90's big name brands are just sort of living off their old steam, and have been replaced by people who do it a lot better these days. You can say they're still good and they probably are still "good", but I notice nobody points me in their direction anymore either. While that may not be related to the topic at hand, its just something I've noticed.

As for the shops that wasn't the response I got during my research. They specifically cited failure rates. If these companies are too lazy or cheap to do some quality control I'll just take my business elsewhere. There are plenty to choose from.
Most shops are so afraid of the net and don't know how to embrace it that of course they aren't gonna tell you that "we dropped them because you could buy it on line cheaper than I can", if they did that what reason would you have to come into their establishment to buy something else because they've now just planted into your mind that "maybe you can get EVERYTHING they sale cheaper online."

Another thing I'm starting to see the more I read the various car audio forums, is that all the big name brands really aren't as big as they used to be. Probably for good reason. For example when you ask about the best shallow mount sub, no one directs you to JL's tw5. They tell you to go with Stereo Integrity. And it isn't rockford who's making the best bang for the buck subs anymore, its Sundown Audio. I'm beginning to think that all those 80's and 90's big name brands are just sort of living off their old steam, and have been replaced by people who do it a lot better these days. You can say they're still good and they probably are still "good", but I notice nobody points me in their direction anymore either. While that may not be related to the topic at hand, its just something I've noticed.
You still don't get it, you're on the INTERNET! Eight out of ten people you speak to here will tell you that the Big Companies and brick and mortor stores are ALL EVIL and xyz net brands are the greatest thing since sliced bread. Now granted there are quite a few "old name" companies trying to live off the rep of the original companies which is very bogus. I like the SI subs AND I like the JL's, I'm personally a Sundown dealer and have been one since 08' and I run it in my personal vehicle along with Focal. My point is this, neither Rockford nor JL have been know to be a "bang for your buck" type of company, when Rockford tried it originally it almost crippled the company beyond repair. What Rockford and JL both have done is introduce a somewhat more affordable line compared to their normal stuff, Rockford more so than JL and it's working for them. Those are also the only two "old school" that I can think of off the top of my head that hasn't gone under and been bought out simply for their name and rep and been brought back with crappy or sub-standard equipment.

I look forward to all the new up and coming companies that are producing quality equipment, it reminds me of the good ole days of this industry but just like then, how many of them are going to be here in another 25+ years in their original incarnations just as Rockford and JL has. I hope a great many of them but truthfully it won't be.

That's all fine and well, but maybe you're the one who doesn't get it. After all, you are the only one telling me this, when I've got 10 others telling me that. Maybe a few more but still proportionately. It occurs to me that just like the reason you submitted, you are a shop and you do have something to gain by defending brands you sell, even if you do also sell the others. Like you said, the others are mainly online, the "evil" brick and mortar stores and old name brands tend to go hand in hand.

And none of the excuses change my personal experiences, or the personal experiences of close friends. I didn't bring them into it because I didn't deem it relevant, but suffice to say I will NEVER buy kenwood again, that company can go out of business and I'll be glad. And, you can get to the bottom of who does better quality control, by looking into their quality control methods and if they even do it at all. That information can be garnered, and while I haven't done it myself, one could do so and have a much better idea which company is more likely to sell them a piece of junk like I got, and which company is going to give them a quality product because each one went through a good quality control process. So implying that more often than not one company is as good as the other is a falsehood at best. I work in quality control testing GPU cards for a major PC graphics card company. Many companies simply do no quality control at all, or very little. Those are the ones you want to avoid. I'm sorry if some of the brands you sell are on that list, and this thread highlights that fact. Maybe you should think about dropping them.

If it seemed as if I was defending any one brand that was not the case, if it seemed as though I was discounting your experiences with certain brands, that was def NOT the case. All I was saying is yes you had a bad experience with xyz brand and a few other people online as well, I was hoping you wouldn't think that all their product was sub standard due too a few faulty products especially when you compare that failure percentage to the overall number of product manufactured. I too have been in quality control just as you so you know as well as I that "sh*t" happens. Can you say that none of your companies boards have failed even after they've passed QC, I don't think so.....Do I sale Rockford, yes we do but you obviously didn't read my full post about them and why they are still in our store. I don't sell Kenwood at all but I like the product thus it's in both my wife's and my vehicle. I don't have a dog in this fight at all so I could really care less what brands you do buy, I just try to see why people form the opinions about certain brands that they do and honestly the net can be a two edged sword with what you find on it....

I'm not afraid of the internet as most b&m's are, I've been introduced to some incredible brands via the net but I've also seen FAR more falsehoods and misinformation about brands on the net than anywhere in the 29yrs I've been doing this.

Just because I work in this business doesn't mean that I can't be objective because I more than any know that there are some VERY p*ss poor shops and brands out there. I try to look at everything with open eyes and from all perspectives whenever possible.....

What brands would you advise avoiding? What shops? I'm in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.
I honestly don't know anything about the market you are in but I can find out who are supposed to be the reputable shops there if you would like. As far as brands well you've already mentioned some very good ones, I'm kind of biased because I've had nothing but great experiences with Sundown. Since 08' I've only had one amp go bad and they quickly replaced it with a new one. If you are budget minded, I've had great luck with the Soundstream Picasso and Tarantula Nano amps, Phoenix Gold's new stuff is great. Now mind you I'm suggesting these because they've been bulletproof for my customers. There are several brands both online and in b&m that will perform very well for you. If you do buy online try to find a reputable online store. As far as headunits go, well I'll just leave that one alone lol.....

Well just the known brands with bad reputations that are well earned. As for shops I guess we can skip that one since you are not in the DFW area. Although I will say that if I could somehow use them all, my guess would be that I could count on two hands the number that I'd go back to in the whole DFW area. Most of 'em either assume you know nothing and give you the snake oil sounding sales pitch, or just have bad business practices.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.