Serious Question about SPL

The_Grimy_One
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
Phoenix, AZ
Ok, so I am very curious on why one person can have 20000 watts, and someone else can have 10000 watts and they still create the same amount of dbs.

I clearly understand that many characteristics go into this process, BUT I clearly dont understand why everyone doesnt follow the same kind of characteristics if one way produces so much more bass.

And of course better subs and amps = more dbs, but I think someone with 20000 watts, should be significantly louder than someone with 10000 watts.

Lastly, let's just say I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee, how could I possibly achieve a 160db? This is hypothetical, of course.

Each car is 100% different even if they are the same year/make/model as each other. In short, there is no ONE way to build a SPL car. I have built more then just about everyone on here and each one needed a different method to get loud.

Each car is 100% different even if they are the same year/make/model as each other. In short, there is no ONE way to build a SPL car. I have built more then just about everyone on here and each one needed a different method to get loud.
And how do you find this method? Just a bunch of trial and error, or do you come at each situation with a certain plan? I guess basically I am asking, have you learned a certain way to attack certain vehicles?

P.S. What has been your highest score?

To gain 3db you need to double the power, sound pressure level is not linear, it's logarithmic so the louder you go the harder it is to get louder. For example if you get 135dB from a 500 watt amp then to get 138dB you'll need a 1000 watt amp.

That's all assuming that your subs can take that kind of power, that's why all the SPL competitors have awesome subs that can take 120v ac socket for minutes and can be rebuilt when they do burn out.

To gain 3db you need to double the power, sound pressure level is not linear, it's logarithmic so the louder you go the harder it is to get louder. For example if you get 135dB from a 500 watt amp then to get 138dB you'll need a 1000 watt amp.
That's all assuming that your subs can take that kind of power, that's why all the SPL competitors have ****** subs that can take 120v ac socket for minutes and be rebuilt when they do burn out.
I knew it was something like that

That's all assuming that your subs can take that kind of power, that's why all the SPL competitors have awesome subs that can take 120v ac socket for minutes and can be rebuilt when they do burn out.
This makes sense to me. Thanks. I swear some people have about 10000 watts, while another has closer to 25000 watts, and their scores are very close to the same, which dumbfounded me.

Power is only one factor. Many people do not understand the physics behind what they are trying to do so they just drop as much power as they can to compensate for their lack of build experience or technique.

Power is only one factor. Many people do not understand the physics behind what they are trying to do so they just drop as much power as they can to compensate for their lack of build experience or technique.
Yea, I understand that. What other considerations do you put into it? I mean besides the common box size/frequency, ohm load, and power...

---------- Post added at 09:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 PM ----------

Drop it off in my driveway for a few days and poof 160.
Really? Could you do it for $20 per day and lunch?

You are trying to cram a lot of learning into a thread that won't happen. I can explain what method I use, but you won't understand until you start building something and start to see the dos and don'ts of SPL.

You are trying to cram a lot of learning into a thread that won't happen. I can explain what method I use, but you won't understand until you start building something and start to see the dos and don'ts of SPL.
Sorry, trying to be as broad as possible...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.