SecondSkin Overkill alternative -- What do you guys think?

emilimo701
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
I'm trying to do a little research before buying sound deadening products.

Second Skin does not tell exactly what its Overkill product is, but I'm assuming it's some type of closed-cell foam, as described here.

But Don has not replied to my email(s), and i'm not sure I want to commit $35+ yet just for "foam"

So I did some research, and price hunting, and found a site with good prices and wide variety: Closed Cell Foam, Padding, Minicel, Polystyrene Foam, Styrofoam Sheet

So now I'm wondering which of those products would work best for killing rattles/squeaks while also being durable and impervious to moisture/mildew.

From looks/description, I'd probably go with the neoprene. However, the technical name of the "gymnastic rubber" is Polyvinyl Chloride Nitrile Butadiene Rubber, which sounds like it could be what Don from SoundDeadenerShowdown (link above) uses for his CCF. Also, the site claims that the Volara is "good for sound deadening" but i've felt it before (I work in a poker room) and I'm not sure if it would be good for the application or not.

Price comparison:

Second Skin Overkill Pro (3/8" thick): $29.99 for 9 square feet

SoundDeadenederShowdown CCF (2/8" thick): $27.65 for 13.5 square feet

Parts Express Foam (2/8" thick): $21.20 for 9 square feet

FoamFactory Gym Rubber (3/8" thick): $14.99 for 16 square feet (details here)

FoamFactory Neoprene (3/8" thick): $22.99 for 13.3 square feet (details here)

FoamFactory Volara (3/8" thick): $20.98 for 10 square feet (details here)

thoughts?

how about raamat's ensolite for $11.96 for 14sq feet?
yup i saw that as well, i didn't put that on the list because it only comes in 1/8" thickness

they have pretty much the same thing on that site i listed. as it states, the gymastic rubber is "very similar to Ensolite"... $6.99 for 16 square feet!

For "rattles/squeaks" I would say use a deanener like Dynamat or SS.

To eliminate noise, a lot of guys on DIYMA use Neoprene as a cheap (inexpensive) alternative to the SS stuff. Seems to work just as good. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif

SDS gets lots of praise over on DIYMA, and from little i have seen, the price is right on par with other stuff but is supposedly better. though i have no personal experience with it.

$50 dynamat extreme to do 2 doors.

$46 fatmat to do 2 doors

$31+shipping SDS to do 2 doors

now how much shipping is idk, thats just what i was quoted to do 2 average size doors

SDS gets lots of praise over on DIYMA, and from little i have seen, the price is right on par with other stuff but is supposedly better. though i have no personal experience with it.
$50 dynamat extreme to do 2 doors.

$46 fatmat to do 2 doors

$31+shipping SDS to do 2 doors

now how much shipping is idk, thats just what i was quoted to do 2 average size doors
haha thanks but not talking about CLD

For "rattles/squeaks" I would say use a deanener like Dynamat or SS.
To eliminate noise, a lot of guys on DIYMA use Neoprene as a cheap (inexpensive) alternative to the SS stuff. Seems to work just as good. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif
yup, i got both the Neoprene and the Ensolite alternative from that website.

From what I read, Second Skin's Overkill used to be (and could still be. i'm not sure) neoprene CCF. Raammat (and AFAIK Sound Deadener SHowdown also) sells an Ensolite material for its CCF.

I also got some Volara for the heck of it. All 3/8". I'll sketch a review once i receive and try them out

This just came in. I ordered it from DKHardware.com

Just as i've seen it described, it is slightly sticky to the touch. It does not seem to be permanently adhesive; I tried it on paper, wood, and plastic, and painted metal. Size is true 3/8" slightly bigger than a pencil, as shown. It is pretty much odorless.

View attachment 26520497

Wow that was fast!
View attachment 26520439

Two square foot Auralex wedge sheets

Hey nice thread!!!

Forgot about it but just deadened my car, interior is still out and was looking for some deflex alternative as well as CCF/Neoprene.

On those wedges where did you get them? on the Foam factory site it just shows packs of 12, so??

Any verdict on the neoprene or Gym Rubber??

Thanks

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.